Displaced Yemeni children staring through a hole in the wall to a half destroyed house in Taez, where they have…
Ahmad al-Basha / AFP / Getty Images
The UN humanitarian chief declared a month ago that the war zone of Yemen was on the brink of a “massive loss of life” – a famine disaster that could spell the complete case in an already failed country.  Since then, he says that the difficult situation has only deteriorated.
“Customs is unbearably high,” announced Mark Lowcock UN Security Council on Tuesday. “The immune system for millions of people on survival support for several years now collapses in letters, making them – especially children and the elderly – more likely to facilitate malnutrition, cholera and other diseases.”
Last month, the United Nations Humanitarian Coordination Office said eight million people were desperately addicted to aid and approximately 3.5 million were in danger of joining them. But Lowcock said Tuesday that it was not fair for the crisis that is now raging Yemen.
Due to new investigations and analyzes, his office said as many as 14 million people – or about half the country’s population – could soon be “totally dependent on external aid for survival.” And with violence that is still raging in the main port of Hodeidah, where the Saudi Arabian Yemeni forces launched an offensive against the Houthi rebels earlier this year, international aid may cause disturbances.
Hani Mohammed / AP
“In the absence of extinction of hostilities, especially around Hudaydah, where fighting for more than four months has now damaged the main facilities and the infrastructure that the support operation relies on, aid will ultimately simply overwhelm,” Lowcock said. “The time has come for all parties to take into account these warnings.”
None of the parties in Yemen’s complex war have been following these warnings yet.