Categories: world

Woman looses her eye after parasite burrows during her contact lens in shower on holiday

A WOMAN has lost an eye after a parasite in shower water became stuck behind her contact lens. Belgian woman…

A WOMAN has lost an eye after a parasite in shower water became stuck behind her contact lens.

Belgian woman Petra van Kalmthout has gone public with the harrowing story that happened to her three years ago to warn other contact lens users of the risks.

Central European News

Petra van Kalmthout has lost an eye after a parasite in shower water became stuck behind her contact lens

It went all wrong for Petra during a sailing trip on holiday when she took a shower while wearing her contact lenses.

She said: “I had a party and In the evening my eye hurt a bit. I immediately took out my contact lens. I threw it away.

“The next day my eye was red and was even more painful.”

Petra went to see her GP and visited several eye doctors, who prescribed her some eye drops an [19659000] Petra lost her eye during a sailing trip holiday three years ago

Central European News

Petra lost her eye during a sailing trip holiday three years ago

Petra headed to the university hospital of Antwerp, where doctors found she had a parasite in the cornea of ​​her right eye.

By that time Petra had already lost almost all her sight in her eye as the pain became unbearable.

The culprit turned out to be an acanthamoeba parasite, which is not dangerous unless it gets stuck between a contact lens and the cornea of ​​an eye.

The tiny parasite nestles itself in a cocoon on the cornea and affects the entire eye. [19659002] A special child of eye drop with chlorine can kill the parasite, although this came too late for Petra.

After two failed surgeries to rescue her eye Petra had to make a tough call to remove her right eye.

Central European News

A special child of eye drop with chlorine can kill the parasite, although this came too late for Petra patch after losing her eye ” class=”lazyload” data-src=”https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/NINTCHDBPICT000453588997.jpg?w={width}” data-credit=”Central European News” data-sizes=”auto” data-img=”https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/NINTCHDBPICT000453588997.jpg?strip=all&w=887″/>

Central European News

Petra is seen wearing an eye patch after losing her eye

She said: “When I had my eye removed it was the end of a period with pain. And yes, that you then have to live your life with an eye patch is a choice that you consciously make. “

Petra has recently received an ocular prosthesis and needs no longer to wear an eye patch, although she will remain blind in

Every year around 45 people in Belgium get the acanthamoeba parasite, although it has rarely the same dramatic consequences that occurred to Petra.

The organism is usually found in bodies of water such as well as swims in domestic tap water, swimming pools, hot tubs, soil and air and affects contact lens wearers.

The eye-eating virus that affects contact lens wearers

Acanthamoeba keratitis (AK) is an infection of The cornea caused by a microscopic organism called Acanthamoeba.

The parasite is usually found in bodies of water (lakes, oceans and rivers) as well as domestic tap water, swimming pools, hot tubs, soil and air.

Humans come in contact with them When we wash, swim and drink water but they can cause a serious eye disease if they infect the cornea.

AK is most common in people who wear contact lenses, but anyone with a corneal injury could develop the infection.

Doctors advise against taking a shower or swimming while wearing soft contacts and say those who do so need to throw them away immediately afterwards.

There is much less of a risk for those wearing hard contact lenses as those repel water. [19659002] In all cases, contacts should be cleaned with special cleaner solution and not with tap water.

Petra said: “The water that comes out of the tap can cause a lot of suffering. For three years my eye determined my life.

“Now that I finally have a prosthesis I can start life in my hands again. I will start by going a night out dancing.”

Earlier this year, a mom went blind in one eye after a parasite wriggled behind her contact lens while she was in the shower

Suzanne Dunne was left with a severe pain in her eye after the worm ate its way through her cornea.

She was rushed to hospital where medics had to pour bleach into her eye every day for 16 days to kill the infection.

Doctors remove parasitic worm found wriggling INSIDE teenagers eye


We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at tips @ the-sun.co.uk or call 0207 782 4368. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours


Share
Published by
Faela