Categories: world

WHO warns Ebola can break DRC limits unless attacks stop | News

The World Health Organization (WHO) has warned that it may not be possible to include the Democratic Republic of Congo's recent Ebola outbreak in two affected provinces in the country's east if violent attacks on health professionals and treatment centers continue. In a statement on Friday, WHO said it was "unlikely" the virus "would successfully contain" in northern Kivu and Ituri – which were combined, the Rwanda, Uganda and South Sudan border – unless the focus on response activities ended . The current outbreak is the second worst in recorded history and has killed 1 ,105 people so far, with efforts to end the nine-month-old epidemic complicated by a volatile security and widespread social deficiency [19659004]. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director General of the WHO, said he was "deeply worried" at the recent trends of the outbreak. "The increased transmission rates increase the risk of Ebola spreading in the Democratic Republic of Congo a d to surrounding countries," said Ghebreyesus in a tweet. "The tragedy is that we have the technical ways to stop Ebola, but until all parties stop attacks on the answer, it becomes very difficult to end this outbreak," he added. Earlier this week, fighters from the armed rebel group Mai-Mai attacked a treatment center in Butembo, a city at the epicenter of the crisis. The assault followed a "violent attack" on a funeral team on May 3 after they interred an Ebola victim in the city of Katwa, east of Butembo, the WHO said, adding that it…

The World Health Organization (WHO) has warned that it may not be possible to include the Democratic Republic of Congo’s recent Ebola outbreak in two affected provinces in the country’s east if violent attacks on health professionals and treatment centers continue.

In a statement on Friday, WHO said it was “unlikely” the virus “would successfully contain” in northern Kivu and Ituri – which were combined, the Rwanda, Uganda and South Sudan border – unless the focus on response activities ended .

The current outbreak is the second worst in recorded history and has killed 1

,105 people so far, with efforts to end the nine-month-old epidemic complicated by a volatile security and widespread social deficiency [19659004].

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director General of the WHO, said he was “deeply worried” at the recent trends of the outbreak.

“The increased transmission rates increase the risk of Ebola spreading in the Democratic Republic of Congo a d to surrounding countries,” said Ghebreyesus in a tweet.

“The tragedy is that we have the technical ways to stop Ebola, but until all parties stop attacks on the answer, it becomes very difficult to end this outbreak,” he added.

Earlier this week, fighters from the armed rebel group Mai-Mai attacked a treatment center in Butembo, a city at the epicenter of the crisis.

The assault followed a “violent attack” on a funeral team on May 3 after they interred an Ebola victim in the city of Katwa, east of Butembo, the WHO said, adding that it had to stop the response activities in Butembo and surrounding areas for five days because of the uncertainty. 19659010] “The ongoing violent attacks suck fear, maintain distrust, and further associate the many challenges that are already facing the front line health care professionals,” the WHO said in its statement.

Deepening of the Security Crisis

East DRC has experienced decades of violence, with the cores of armed groups operating throughout the region, historically neglected by the state of Kinshasa.

In addition to armed groups active in the area, health workers have encountered widespread social deficiencies over the Ebola outbreak, with segments of locals believing that it was manufactured for the economic gain of [19659012] business-owned local elites or to further destabilize the area.

The security challenges are twofold: armed groups that have been present in the region for decades and community hostility, now having morphates from targeted plants to target response workers,” Whitney Elmer, DRC CEO of US-based NGO Mercy Corps, in a statement.

“The effect of the increase in violence is clear; the virus does not take a break – after every interruption in the activities, the Ebola infections increase,” says Elmer.

More than 100 attacks on Ebola treatment centers and healthcare professionals have been registered since the beginning of the year, According to WHO

In April, heavily armed attackers hit a hospital in Butembo and killed Richard Mouzoko, a Cameroonian WHO physician working on the Ebola response. ] The attack came after unidentified attackers in February broke two doctors without borders (known by its French initials MSF) treatment facilities in northern Kivu, which led to the organization discontinuing operations in the area. 19659023] It soon warned that “a climate to deepen community distrust “grasped” various political, social and economic maladministrations “and an allegedly excessive militarized response from authorities to the outbreak.

“Unprecedented Challenge”

] David Miliband, president of the International Rescue Committee, warned on Friday that the outbreak today constituted a “challenge for the outbreak” for the DRC and the international community, warning 19 he was more and more volatile atmosphere “make progress against the disease impossible”.

“The situation is much more dangerous than the statistics for 1000 deaths, which is the second largest in history, suggests, and the suspension of key services threatens to create a deadly inflection point in the path of disease,” Miliband said in a statement after having met health personnel in the regional capital, Goma.

In an effort to contain the virus, healthcare professionals have inoculated more than 111,000 people so far as part of a state-backed vaccination program. The vaccine is experimental but is estimated to be 97.5 percent effective.

However, registered cases have continued to increase as the rising uncertainty culminating in a record 126 confirmed cases reported over a seven-day stretch ending April 28 and urging the WHO to warn about a “continued intense scenario transmission “

The world’s worst epidemic of Ebola, a hemorrhagic fever, killed about 11,300 people in West Africa when it fought through Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia from 2013 to 2016.

] Additional Reporting by David Child: @ DavidChild90

Share
Published by
Faela