GENEVA – The Emergency Chief for the World Health Organization says he expects Congo's Ebola outbreak will last at least…
GENEVA – The Emergency Chief for the World Health Organization says he expects Congo’s Ebola outbreak will last at least another six months, and says informal health facilities have become “major drivers” of the current, deadly transmission.
Dr. Peter Salama says makeshift “tradi-modern” health centers – offering both traditional and modern treatment – are believed to be linked to more than half of cases in Beni, the largest city affected by the current outbreak that has taken more than 200 lives. 19659003] Salama, who returned from a trip to Ebola hit eastern Congo last week, said Tuesday it appeared “very likely” that some cases of Ebola had been misdiagnosed as malaria, because early symptoms are almost identical.
He says the WHO is planning on “at least another six months before we could declare this outbreak over.”
8 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.