Gary Giles, 55, died on Sunday after a week's long battle with the disease that first began as a neck…
A 55-year-old Utah man has become the state’s first rabies mortality since 1
944 after a week-long battle with the infection, first presented as neck and back pain. Gary Giles, of Maroni, died on Sunday after a series of medical tests and transfers landed him in intensive care at the Intermountain Medical Center.
Giles widow, Juanita, said the couple often allowed bats to land on their hands and slick their fingers because they did not know they were infected with rabies. She told KSL.com that she woke up at night to find them walking on the bed of the couple.
NEVADA VOICES TO REMEMBER TAMPON TAX ON FEMININE HYGIENE PRODUCTS
“The bats never hurt us and we were always catching them in our hands and releasing them because you hear all the time and how bats are good for the insect population and you want to do not hurt them, “she told KSL.com. “The flutter licking our fingers, almost like they could taste the fingers of our fingers, but they never bite us.”
However, on October 19, Giles landed in the emergency room with intense back and neck pain, which was diagnosed as a potentially drawn muscle. According to a GoFundMe page, his symptoms developed into numbness and tingling of the arms, leading to muscle spasm. He was reportedly transferred to the ICU after he began to respond poorly to the medicine. He eventually became intubated and sedated, with later brain scans revealing that he experienced several attacks every hour.
According to his death, Giles died surrounded by his family. The Utah Department of Health confirmed a rabies-linked death in the state.
“RAT LUNGWORM” EXPLAINED: PARASITIC RURAL WORLD SCIENCE
A state epidemiologist warned of the dangers of battling around bats.
“If you are near a bats, dead or alive, do not touch, kill or kill it,” said Dallin Peterson Salt Lake Tribune. “Call your healthcare provider or local health department immediately to report the possible exposure and determine whether preventive treatment is necessary. “
Rabies is a contagious viral disease in mammals most commonly transmitted by infection of an infected animal. According to the centers of disease control and prevention measures (CDCs), the vast majority of cases occur in wild animals such as raccoons, shovels and foxes Symptoms may then go on to insomnia, anxiety, confusion, light or partial paralysis, excitation, hallucinations, agitation, hypersalivation, difficulty in swallowing and fear of water. The deaths of the central nervous system may occur as a result of fever, headache, weakness or discomfort. usually occurs within a few days after the advanced symptoms en.