Categories: world

University of Maryland adenovirus death: Parents of Olivia Paregol say that university health centers did not test for adenovirus despite symptoms

COLLEGE PARK, Maryland – The parents of a University of Maryland student who died after committing adenovirus are talking about…

COLLEGE PARK, Maryland – The parents of a University of Maryland student who died after committing adenovirus are talking about mildew conditions on campus that they believe contributed to her death. Freshman Olivia Paregol died last week after complaining of flu-like symptoms. Her parents, Ian and Meg Paregol, also told CBS News correspondent Jericka Duncan, the University Health Center did not test her daughter to the adenovirus despite her symptoms and learned her first fall of the disease the day before Olivia’s visit. Health officials say they have identified three new cases in Maryland students.

Olivia was diagnosed with Crohn’s disease before joining college and taking medications, as her father said weakened her immune system. Within a few weeks from the start school he says that Olivia began to express concern about mold in her dormitory in Elkton Hall.

“You could see [the mold]. Oh, it was on her shoes … It was on her table. Everywhere, says Ian.

” Yes, it would collect on their shoes overnight, “Meg said .

 ctm-1127-olivia-paregol-adenovirus-death.jpg "srcset =" https://cbsnews1.cbsistatic.com/hub/ I / r / 2018/11/27/9435b572-4181-4672-babb -88d717999b4e / resize / 270x / 91a3f94a0f2c26bf8a267d9d932601e1 / ctm-1127-olivia-paregol-adenovirus-death.jpg 1x "/> </span><figcaption/></figure> <p> Kyle Rumsey is among the beginners who told us that he also found mold in his dormitory. <br /><strong><br /></strong> "I would have red eyes when I woke up. I would have a scratchy throat," said Rumsey. </p> <p> The university said it began to receive "higher than usual reports of mold" throughout the dormitory that began September 16th. Five days later officials began moving over 500 students from Elkton Hall until the crew ended the cleaning on October 10th. <br /><strong><br /></strong> "There should have been more information and insight into the presence of mold," said Ian. "It was just kindly stripped -" Oh, we're gonna clean it. Do not worry. "" </p><div><script async src=

It was not the only problem, according to Olivia’s parents.

University officials said they learned about their first case of adenovirus on November 1st. The next day Olivia went to the university health center complaining about breathing difficulties. Nobody said Paregols, tested her for adenovirus.

“They do not make a point to” Hmm, this student is immunosuppressed, she has all the symptoms of adenovirus, we have diagnosed adenovirus, oh she only – we’ll just send her home. “

Olivia was eventually treated at Johns Hopkins Hospital, but died on November 18th. Her parents said doctors told them if they had known they had adenovirus, they should have given her another treatment – something her parents thought would have been able to save Olivia’s life.

“We have cried for days and then we become stupid and then we are in disbelief. And it’s only – no one should do this,” says Ian.

They buried their daughter three days ago.

] “You can not imagine, you have to go and choose a plot for your daughter,” says Ian. ” It’s not the way it should work. “

” I think she found a real place for herself, “said Meg about her daughter who studied criminology at the university.” It makes me very comfortable knowing that she was finding joy in life. “

The University of Maryland said that the diseases related to adenovirus on campus have been detected both by students living on and off campus and among students in dormitories that are affected and not affected by mold.

Share
Published by
Faela