Categories: world

United Kingdom tables UN Security Council Resolution requiring Yemen-truce | World News

The United Kingdom has submitted a UN Security Council Resolution requiring Immediate Violence in the Portuguese Port of Hodeidah and…

The United Kingdom has submitted a UN Security Council Resolution requiring Immediate Violence in the Portuguese Port of Hodeidah and guarantees for the safe delivery of food and medicine.

The draft resolution is opposed to Saudi Arabia, which is leading air to the Houthi rebels, and it is unclear how much effort the United States is prepared to make for voting in the Security Council. A parallel peace initiative led by the United Nations is also in balance as negotiations continue over the Houthi rebel’s secure passage to peace talks in Sweden.

The resolution sets a two-week deadline for both the Houthi rebels who control Hodeidah and the Saudi-led coalition to remove all barriers to humanitarian aid, according to a copy that Agence France-Press showed before a Security Council session on Monday.

The warring sides must “facilitate the uninterrupted flow of commercial and humanitarian food, water, fuel, medicine and other significant imports across the country” from Hodeidah, through which 80% of Yemen imports flows, the text says.

It also requires a large injection of foreign currency in the country’s economy through the central bank to support the collapse of Yemeni rials and for salaries for officials, teachers and health workers to be paid within one month. The resolution also urges the warring parties to cooperate with UN peacekeeping brokers scheduled to start later this month.

The resolution supports a series of confidence-building measures aimed at paving the way for talks to end nearly four wars, including the release of prisoners, the resumption of the airport in the rebel-based capital Sana, for commercial flights and strengthening of the central bank.

It is unclear when Britain’s resolution will be re-elected. Saudi Arabia’s actual leader, Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, made it clear that he opposed it when British Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt visited Riyadh on Monday. CNN reported that the Prince “threw a fitting” when he showed the dissolution.

Diplomats said he claimed that by stopping the Hodeidah offensive and guaranteeing food and medicine supplies, the resolution would reduce the Houthi rebel’s incentive to participate in peace talks in Sweden. He also opposed any resolutions he considered to limit the freedom of action of the Saudi coalition in Yemen.

The UK has decided to continue the resolution anyway but is unsure what the United States response will be. The US government, Mike Pompeo, did not ask for the dissolution to be postponed, but the UN diplomats said that different parts of the Trump administration had different views on how a resolution would run and how much pressure to put on Riyadh.

Pompeo and US Secretary of Defense James Mattis issued calls for weapons of violence and for the beginning of the peace talks this month, a feature interpreted by some as an increase in pressure on Saudi Arabia and the Emirates Allies to limit their military operations and accept a peace agreement.

The murder of Saudi Arabian Jamal Khashoggi journalist in Istanbul has undergone the close relationship between the Trump administration and Riyadh under major review. Nevertheless, Donald Trump has shown no signs of abandoning his support for Prince Mohammed. The talks from Pompeo and Mattis for peace talks began were not supported by any warnings if US action on appeal was not followed.

The effort to get the two sides to speak in Sweden was led by the UN Special Envoy to Yemen, Martin Griffiths. Negotiations planned for September did not disappear when Houthi leaders refused to participate, unless their injured were evacuated from Sana for medical care. Since then, the Saudi-ruled coalition has agreed to allow evacuation, and Oman has offered to help.

The obstacle this time appears to be a Houthi demand for guarantees for safe passage to and from Sweden.

Griffith told the Security Council on Friday that he believed both sides were genuine in his expressed intention to participate in the conversation. He said he would fly to Sana a week to meet rebel leader Malik al-Houthi, adding that he was ready to accompany the Houthi delegation to Sweden, if necessary.

The Saudi Arabian government has declared itself ready to participate in the talks and during the weekend a high-grade Houthi official called for rebellion to stop shooting rockets and using attack drones before a Griffith’s proposed visit.

Mohammed Ali al-Houthi, Head of the Higher Revolutionary Committee and an influential political figure tweeted: “We announce an initiative calling all official Yemeni parties to ask to launch rockets and drones against aggression countries … to deprive them of some reason to continue its aggression and siege, along a readiness to freeze and stop all military operations on all fronts to reach peace. “

Thousands of people have died in conflict and battles intensified last week after conflicts escalated in Hodeidah.

Houthi said that his call for abuses of missiles and drone attacks was aimed at “supporting the efforts of [UN] the messenger and proving our good intentions” and allowing the move to come “our contact with the UN Envoy and his request to end launch missiles and drones “.

The battle in the city has fallen over the past three days, although residents say coalition rays resumed flying over the city on Monday and Houthis continues to use civilian military infrastructure.

Resurrected seized Sana & Hodeidah 2014, which told Saudi Arabia and its allies to intervene on the Yemeni government in the following year. Nearly 10,000 people have been killed since then, according to the World Health Organization, in what the UN has called the worst humanitarian crisis. Legal groups believe that the real way can be five times higher.

Share
Published by
Faela