Categories: world

Umno supporters show solidarity when Zahid comes to court

KUALA LUMPUR: All eyes are on Umno President Datuk Seri Ahmad Zahid Hamidi when he arrived at Kuala Lumpur Court…

KUALA LUMPUR: All eyes are on Umno President Datuk Seri Ahmad Zahid Hamidi when he arrived at Kuala Lumpur Court Complex where cell phones are trained on him in combination with the constant outburst of camera flashes.

Zahid, wearing an orange bat shirt, arrived at 8:15 am and was heavily escorted by police and Malaysian anti-corruption commissioners (MACC).

The former Deputy Prime Minister, who wields a lonely figure, waved and smiled at the press who had camped as early as 7:00.

A hectic atmosphere pierced the courts complex here when hundreds of umno supporters gathered outside the association to show their solidarity towards the party president.

The group armed with posters and banners also chanted “hidup Zahid & # 39; and “Hidup Umno” when Zahid’s entourage entered the band.

At the same time Umno said Supreme Council member Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob Zahid’s fate that the party president would be decided to leave during a meeting.

“For now, let’s support him to face the allegations,” he said as he approached the court lobby.

It was reported that Mrs. Bagan Datuk is expected to hit more than 40 charges in connection with money laundering, abuse of power and breach of trust.

Hundreds of Umno supporters gathered outside the federation to show their solidarity towards Zahid.

He was arrested by the antipsy body yesterday after leaving his statement at 15.15.

Arrest, said the Commission, was related to funds belonging to a foundation.

“Ahmad Zahid will then meet multiple charges under the MACC Act 2009 and Anti-Money Laundering, Anti-Terrorism Financing and Proceeds of the Unlawful Activities Act (AMLATFAPUAA) 2001,” said MACC in a statement.

Zahid had previously been called five times by MACC to assist in his investigation of alleged abuse of funds involving Yayasan Akal Budi, amounting to RM800,000.

On July 2, Zahid was called for the first time to make his statement on the matter, where the charity agency’s funds were used to paying his and his wife’s credit card bills.

One day later he was called to MACC again, where he spent seven hours questioned. Zahid had told reporters that there was no fault in his side regarding the funds.

He said the incident was due to a mistake by one of his officers who had used charity funds to make the payment instead of using a personal check.

Zahid said that he had already explained the issue to MACC, and the refund was fully paid to charity back in 2016.

But Zahid called the MACC for three consecutive days, from October 10 to October 12, to give his statement about the same question. © New Straits Times Press (M) Bhd

Published by