Categories: world

Turkey says it has more evidence to share in murder of the Saudi journalist Jamal Kashoggi

ISTANBUL – Turkey has "certain evidence" in connection with the murder of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi that it has not…

Turkey has “certain evidence” in connection with the murder of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi that it has not been released to the public, and it will do as soon as the investigation is complete, Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said on Tuesday.

Some evidence has been shared with Saudi authorities and other countries that would investigate it, the Foreign Minister said during a trip to Japan according to the State Anadolu News Agency.

“After this survey has been completed and we are sure, we will continue to share the proof with the public,” he said. CIA director Gina Haspel listened to sounds that allegedly interrogated and killing Khashoggi, a Washington Post-sponsored columnist, during his visit to Turkey last month, according to people familiar with their meetings.

Cavusoglu said it is the responsibility of Saudi authorities to find out what happened to Khashoggi’s body because the 15-member team Turkey said was sent to kill him back in Saudi Arabia.

“These 15 people who came to Turkey did not come alone” he said dismissing the idea that they were terrible killers who acted independently. “They got orders.”

He repeated that Turkey does not believe King Salman ordered the killing. Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan spoke to him twice on the phone and did not think he was “the kind of person who would issue a death order,” said Cavusoglu.

In an opinion in Washington Post last week, Erdogan said that he should kill Khashoggi “came from Saudi’s highest level” but he did not ” thought for a second “that King Salman ordered here.

In an interview with CNN on Monday, Khashoggi 35-year-old son Salah said that the king had assured him that “all who are involved will be justice” to kill.

“I believe in it. This will happen,” he said. In addition to his brother Abdullah, 33, he appealed to the return of his father’s body.

“We just need to make sure he rests in peace” he said.

Turkey has said that a 15-man fight sent from Saudi Arabia killed Khashoggi shortly after entering the consulate to seek a document he needed for his planned marriage with his Turkish fiancee. They dismembered his body and disposed of it in a chilling premeditated plot, the Turkish authorities said.

After insisting that Khashoggi had left the consulate shortly after entering the building, Saudi Arabia acknowledged last month that he was killed inside. However, it has repeatedly denied that the powerful Saudi crown prince Mohammed bin Salman, the actual ruler of the kingdom, was responsible for the murder, although close co-workers are among suspects in the killing.

Turkey has repeated sometimes accused Saudi Arabia of not cooperating in the investigation and destroying evidence. On Monday, a Turkish official said that at least two members of a team sent by Saudi Arabia to investigate Khashoggi’s death were actually there to cover it.

Zeynep Karatas contributed to this report.

Share
Published by
Faela