Categories: world

“Tragic, horrible”: Scores die as immigrant boat lowers from Tunisia | News

A boat with refugees and immigrants has been nested in the Mediterranean off the coast of Tunisia and kills at least 65 people according to the UNHCR. In a statement on Friday, UNHCR said that 16 survivors were withdrawn from the water after the ship sank "in one of the worst Mediterranean events in months". "This is a tragic and terrible reminder of the risks still facing those trying to cross the Mediterranean," said Vincent Cochetel, UNHCR's special envoy for the Mediterranean. Only four bodies have so far been recovered and search operations were ongoing. The International Organization for Migration (IOM) said ] in a Twitter post. Update: IOM Tunisia reports that only 4 bodies have been recovered so far in the ongoing business #SAR . The boat is considered to have left Zuwara, #Libya according to the Tunisian Ministry of Defense. &#821 1; Missing Migrants Project (@MissingMigrants) May 10, 2019 According to reports from the Tunisian state TAP news agency, t the boat dropped by up to 70 refugees and immigrants 40 miles off the coast of Sfax, about 270 km south about the capital Tunis. Fishing boats rescued survivors, reported TAP. IOM, who described the event as "another tragedy in the Mediterranean" said that the ship took to the sea from neighboring Libya where renewed warfare A deadly official author of The Associated The press news agency on board included Bangladeshi and Moroccan citizens. "Deadliest sea crossing" Libya's western coast is the main starting point for refugees and…

A boat with refugees and immigrants has been nested in the Mediterranean off the coast of Tunisia and kills at least 65 people according to the UNHCR.

In a statement on Friday, UNHCR said that 16 survivors were withdrawn from the water after the ship sank “in one of the worst Mediterranean events in months”.

“This is a tragic and terrible reminder of the risks still facing those trying to cross the Mediterranean,” said Vincent Cochetel, UNHCR’s special envoy for the Mediterranean.

Only four bodies have so far been recovered and search operations were ongoing. The International Organization for Migration (IOM) said ] in a Twitter post.

According to reports from the Tunisian state TAP news agency, t the boat dropped by up to 70 refugees and immigrants 40 miles off the coast of Sfax, about 270 km south about the capital Tunis.

Fishing boats rescued survivors, reported TAP.

IOM, who described the event as “another tragedy in the Mediterranean” said that the ship took to the sea from neighboring Libya where renewed warfare

A deadly official author of The Associated The press news agency on board included Bangladeshi and Moroccan citizens.

“Deadliest sea crossing”

Libya’s western coast is the main starting point for refugees and immigrants hoping to reach Europe at sea.

The number of people trying the trip has been lost due to an Italian led effort to disrupt the smuggling network and support the Libyan Coast Guard with funds, ships and education, in return for conducting eavesdropping and rescue.

UNHCR Cochetel said that action was needed “across the region” to “strengthen the capacity of search and rescue operations”.

“If we are not” Now we are almost certain to see more tragic events in the coming weeks and months, “he added.

The Mediterranean is” the world’s deadliest cross ” UNHCR, where one out of 14 people dies from Libya to Europe last year

A UN report published in January said that six refugees and immigrants died every day in 2018 while trying to cross the Mediterranean.

Share
Published by
Faela