(HOUSTON) – The mother of a child who died a few weeks after being released from the country's largest family…
(HOUSTON) – The mother of a child who died a few weeks after being released from the country’s largest family retention center filed a $ 60 million legal claim from the US government for the death of the child.
The lawyers of Yazmin Juarez filed a claim against several bodies Tuesday. Juarez’s 1 year old daughter, Mariee, died in May.
The girl died six weeks later in Philadelphia.
The Washington-based law firm Arnold & Porter said it will file a lawsuit if the government does not. Do not deny its claim. R. Stanton Jones, a lawyer at the company, said the government has six months to respond before his company can film.
“After taking the decision to imprison young children, the US government is responsible for providing living conditions that are
Jones and other authorities specified in the claim said they would not comment on ongoing disputes.
Jones also has filed a $ 40 million claim against the city of Eloy, Arizona, which officially operated the Dilley detention facility under a pass-through agreement with ICE and the private prison company CoreCivic. ICE and CoreCivic replaced their deal with Eloy in September with an arrangement with the town of Dilley.
Advocates have long complained that Dilley’s medical care is substandard and that detention families are hurting their mental health. ICE has defended the custody of Dilley, saying that prisoners have access to healthcare personnel.
“ICE takes very seriously health, safety and well-being of health, “said spokesman Jennifer Elzea in a statement.
Dilley is now using imprisonment of mothers and children, some of whom were reunited in detention after being separated earlier this year under Trump’s administration policy.