9:30 p.m. The night before
Go to bed early and make sure your bedroom is cool.
Don’t watch anything stimulating on TV like the news or a drama series.
To optimize this one-day detox, make it a mind-body experience
Wake up, meditate and breathe.
Start your day with a clear mind, making you more relaxed, calm and focused.
Drink spring or filtered water and have a light breakfast like a smoothie and a handful of nuts.
Keep away from technology, making this a digital detox day.
Put aside your smartphone, tablet and computer for just these 24 hours and that will give you some much needed rest from stress. So, choose the detox day wisely (preferably not a workday)
Have a snack and drink water. You can have a bowl of soup (recipe below) or some fruit.
You’ll be hungry for lunch by now, so enjoy a bowl of soup, some steamed veggies, some lean protein and a glass of water.
Try doing a breathing exercise for 5-10 minutes before you have another snack and drink water.
Take a quick trip around, as walking fast does wonders when it comes to circulation.
Have another bowl of soup for dinner with a delicious salad that includes no cheese.
Have a relaxing yoga session.
Think of reasons why you’re grateful about this day.
Detox Carrot Soup recipe
This soup is carrot-based and it contains a very good balance of vitamins and minerals such as vitamins A, B, C and E while being rich in calcium.
– In large soup pot, cook a small bag of peeled and cut organic baby carrots, two cut celeries and an onion and leave them to boil, then add pickling spice in cheese cloth or tea strainer and place in pot (it will float on or near the top).
– Simmer vegetables and spice for 40 minutes or until vegetables are very tender.
– Remove from stovetop then remove pickling spice and discard it.
– Skim foam off top of soup and let the soup cool slightly.
– Using a slotted spoon, scoop out vegetables and place in blender, then blend on low to puree into a creamy, slightly thick consistency (add more vegetables if too thin).
– Serve warm.
This soup can be kept in a refrigerator one week and in a freezer for several months.
Optional ingredients: peeled and chopped ginger and/or cumin can be added.