ARRIAGA, Mexico – The latest on the caravan of American migrants who hope to travel through Mexico to the United…
ARRIAGA, Mexico – The latest on the caravan of American migrants who hope to travel through Mexico to the United States (all times local):
Mexican federal officers have abandoned a blocked they formed on a bridge to prevent a caravan of thousands of Central American immigrants from moving forward.
The officers closed a suspension after representatives of the Mexico National Human Rights Commission told the police that a rural stretch without shadow, toilets or water was no place to hold negotiations.
Migrants, keen to travel further before the sun blossomed at the full morning strength, cheered as they walked on foot. Police managed buses and led down the highway.
Officials initially said that they would open the road again and would only have the opportunity to explain the Mexican president Enrique Pena Nieto’s offer of protection, medical care, schooling and work to Central Americans who agree to stay in southern Mexico.
Migrants in the city of Arriaga rejected the plan Friday night but said they might be willing to discuss it again when they reach Mexico.
More than a hundred Mexican federal officers wearing plastic shields have blocked a Central American caravan from moving on to the United States after several thousand immigrants made a chance to apply for refugee status and get one Mexican offer of benefits.
Saturday when federal police blocked the highway and said there was an operation in progress to stop the caravan. On the north side of the city of Arriaga, thousands of immigrants stopped on the highway and were waiting to advance.
At a meeting measured by the Mexico National Human Rights Commission, the police said they would open the road again and just wanted the authorities to explain the Mexican president Enrique Pena Nieto’s offer for protection, medical care, school and work to Central Americans. Migrants rejected the plan Friday night saying they would at least be safe in Mexico City to discuss the subject further.
They agreed to forward the information back to their respective pages and said they should reconstitute.
Several thousand Central American immigrants have declined a chance to apply for refugee status and receive a Mexican offer of benefits that promise to set before dawn on Saturday to continue its long train towards the US border .
Mexican president Enrique Pena Nieto announced what he called the “You’re Home” plan, offering protection, medical care, schooling and work to Central America in Chiapas and Oaxaca, if applied, it calls a first step toward permanent refugee status. The authorities said more than 1 700 had already applied for refugee status.
But after one of the longest days of the caravan, most immigrants went on a peaceful night in their refusal to accept something less than safe passage to the U.S. border  Copyright 2018 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, transmitted, rewritten or redistributed.