Categories: world

Teenager, 17, who ate a 10-pound SLUG dare reveals that he almost died like a tragic boy

A man who survived to eat an infected slug as a teenager has revealed how doctors gave him a chance…

A man who survived to eat an infected slug as a teenager has revealed how doctors gave him a chance to survive and told his mother to “plan his funeral”.

Liam McGuigan was 17 when he dared to swallow the slug while on a school trip on Queensland’s Sunshine Coast.

Liam says he is lucky to be alive after coming close to die after eating a slug

He now realizes how incredibly happy he is to tell his story, especially this week, after Sam Ballard died of doing the same thing.

On the days following Liam’s wave, the year 1

2 student began to feel wasted. His muscles stopped working.

“I went to hospital and they thought it could be my attachment. Then they took it out,” he told news.com.au from Brisbane.

Doctor was wrong. Within hours he was on the back of a Sam Ballard however recently after he also swallowed a slug like a wave “class =” lazyload “data-src =” https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads /2018/11/NINTCHDBPICT0003902563041.jpg?w={width} “data-credit =” Newspix Australia – Newscorp “data-sizes =” auto “data-img =” https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp Newspaper Australia – Newscorp

Sam Ballard died recently after he also cooled down.

Newspix Australia – Newscorp

Sam Ballard died recently a slug like a daring

Liam’s body was shut down, because the slug he devoured had a parasitic mask.

When slam died, the snake found a new home in the spinal cord and “basically on its way up to my brain”

The now 27-year-old fell in a coma. The doctor at the Royal Brisbane Hospital kept him in a coma for four weeks and pumped his body full of steroids. They told his mother to “plan his funeral” and that he had one17 million shots to survive.

Then he woke up – a shadow of his former self.

“When I entered, I weighed 85 kg. When I got out of here, I was 38kg. My thigh looked like my wrist, just skin hanging on it,” Liam said.

Sam hit the slug as a wave during a friend’s party

“I had to learn to eat, talk, go, all over again. I knew how to do it, but getting my brain to tell my body how to do it was another thing. “

The staff spoke the alphabet on a whiteboard at RBH together with the words” yes “and” no. “For several weeks, Liam would communicate in that way. If he wanted water or tv or the toilet, he had to spell it

Tal therapy followed for four months and year 12 went out the window. He would eventually repeat, get his certificate and recover 99 percent of his previous life.

This week he was reminded of how happy he is.

Sam Ballard, 29, died on a Friday surrounded by family in Sydney north, eight years after he ate a slug like a wave.

Ballard had the same disease – eosinophil meningo encephalitis – and spent 420 days in coma.

Sam was a giant athlete before the wave

When he woke up he had an acquired brain injury which meant he needed 24/7 care and customer do not feed.

We said tt here and had a piece of a red vintage night and tried to act as an adult and a slug came creepy here, said Sam’s friend Jimmy Galvin.

“The conversation came up, you know.” Should I eat it? “And outside Sam went. Smell. That’s the way it happened.”

When the news broke that Sam had left, Liam’s phone illuminated with messages from friends grateful that he was not affected by the same fate.

“All my friends and family saw Sam’s article and tagged it,” said Liam. “I’m thinking about it all the time. It could have been me. “

Today, Liam is a happy, healthy house surveyor, and he is also married. His message is simple:” Do not hug snakes. “

” It was stupid, but I did not think it was dangerous, “he says. “Being 17 years old makes you stupid things. I am lucky.

Both Sam and Liam ate snails carrying rat lung worm.

The worm is usually found in rodents, but molluscs that eat rat expressions can also be infected.

NSW’s Faculty of Health reveals that symptoms vary from patient to patient.

Some people develop no symptoms, others may have mild, short-lived symptoms.

“Very rarely, the rat lungs cause an infestation of the brain. People with this condition may have headache, a stiff neck, stinging pain in the skin, fever, nausea and vomiting.”

The department advises simple steps to avoid The disease includes never eating raw snails or snails, supervising infants around the garden, washing vegetables and lettuce and washing hands after gardening.

This story originally appeared on News.com.au.

We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online News Team? Email us at [email protected] or call 0207 782 4368. You can WhatsApp us at 07810 791 502. We also pay for videos. Click here to upload your.

Share
Published by
Faela