Categories: world

Sri Lanka temporarily stops Rajapaksa from serving as PM | Sri Lanka News

Colombo, Sri Lanka – A Sri Lankan court has prevented former president Mahinda Rajapaksa from serving as prime minister, because…

Colombo, Sri Lanka – A Sri Lankan court has prevented former president Mahinda Rajapaksa from serving as prime minister, because he hears a petition challenging his refusal to go down despite losing two confidence events last month.

Judge Arjuna Obeyesekere issued the residence permit on Monday and said “harmless damage would be caused” if Rajapaksa and ministers from his cabinets continued to keep their office.

While the decision was to leave Sri Lanka without government, a “set of people who did not have the right to serve as prime minister or ministerial council or any other prime minister” would cause unreasonable damage that has far-reaching consequences for the entire country, “said the referee.

The Court of Appeal will be sitting again on December 1

2 to settle a sentence, he added.

Sri Lanka has been in crisis since October 26, when President Maithripala Sirisena dismissed Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe and replaced him with Rajapaksa, a controversial but popular leader accused of corruption and burial of human rights abuses.

The former president failed to show majority in parliament and urged Sirisena to dissolve the 225 members and call the snap elections. However, both movements were temporarily blocked by the Supreme Court, which is expected to give judgment on 7 December.

In response to the latest backslash, Rajapaksa said he did not agree with Monday’s court decision.

“We will file an appeal in the Supreme Court tomorrow,” he said, promising to continue lobbying for early elections in the island’s Indian Ocean.

Both Rajapaksa and Sirisena have rejected the results of trust on 14 and 16 November, despite the fact that some 122 legislators voted to remove the former president.

The couple claimed that the speaker had failed to follow proper procedure by voting on the polls.

Leader of the United Nations National Party Wickremesinghe, who continues to claim the post as prime minister, commended Monday’s resignation order as a “triumph of democratic institutions over individuals keys” in a Twitter post.

However, in a meeting with UNP leaders late on Monday, President Sirisena ruled out that Wickremesinghe was appointed “although all 225 MPs sign an application”, according to a member of UNP, Lakshman Kirielle.

According to another MP, Mano Ganesan, Sirisena asked UNP to name another name and he would “make him a prime minister within 24 hours”.

“Triumph of Democracy”

UN leaders, who remain in the prime minister’s official residence, insist that his departure was unclear as Parliament dismissed the president of h’s power to secure a prime minister in 2015.

UNP, supported by more than 100 legislators, last week said Wickremesinghe was still their candidate for the Prime Minister’s job.

R Sampathan, leader of the Tamil National Alliance, a coalition representing the Ethnic Tamil minority of the country, said he met Sirisena after the court decision and the president had promised to take “necessary action within the next 24 hours” .

In a Twitter post, Sampathan said Sirisena accepted that Sri Lanka no longer had a government and that he intended to meet national security officers.

At the same time, many Sri Lankans took to social media to celebrate the court’s move.

Sagala Ratnayake, a UNP member also welcomed the decision and said that “justice has won”.

The legislature added: “The false prime minister and his alleged government have been ruled out by the court. The court of law has protected parliamentary democracy from an illegal government.”

Saliya Peiris, whose task is to trace the tens of thousands of people who disappeared Sri Lanka’s 26-year-old war with Tamil separatists described preserving orders as “a proud moment for all who value the rule of law and the independence of the judiciary” in Sri Lanka.

Others said that the court had shown that it was “strong” and urged Rajapaksa to immediately go down.

Rathindra Kuruwita reported from Colombo. Zaheena Rasheed reported and wrote from Doha

Published by