ISLAMABAD – Authorities in Afghanistan say unknown warriors killed a top Islamic clerical Saturday in Kabul while anti-rebel operations elsewhere…
Authorities in Afghanistan say unknown warriors killed a top Islamic clerical Saturday in Kabul while anti-rebel operations elsewhere in the fleeting country killed a US service member and two Afghan soldiers.
A police spokesman told VOA that they found the body of Mawlawi Abdul Basir Haqqani, Deputy Director of Kabul’s Religious Council, in the Chehelsutun area of the capital.
Basir Mujahid said the police had arrested a man for his suspected role in the incident and an investigation was ongoing to determine the subject. No one immediately claimed responsibility for the fatal attack.
Haqqani sly comes after Tuesday’s suicide bombing in Kabul, ripping through a large collection of religious researchers and priests and killing about 50 people. There was no claim for responsibility for that attack.
In particular, the NATO Resolute Support mission states that a US soldier was killed in action in Afghanistan on Saturday. The short message promised more details later on the incident, including the identity of the slain official.
The US military has lost eight staff in action this year in the country. There are about 1
4,000 US troops fighting terrorist groups and advising and training Afghan forces fighting for the Taliban revolt.
In the meanwhile, two Afghan soldiers and six others were injured when a military helicopter carrying reinforcements killed an emergency landing in the troubled Maruf district of southern Kandahar province.
While civil servants cited “a technical error” to cause the incident, the Taliban revolts claimed that they shot down the Army Helicopter in Maruf, which is near the border with Pakistan.
The Afghan security forces continue to suffer major casualties while fighting against the Taliban and other rebel groups.
A suicide bomber on Friday blown up in a mosque in an Afghan army base in southeastern Khost province and killed over 27 soldiers and injured over 50 others. The Islamic state militant group claimed responsibility for the bombing on Saturday.
In a rare statement last week, President Ashraf Ghani revealed that Afghan security forces have lost nearly 29,000 people since 2015 when NATO transferred national security responsibilities to Kabul.