This recipe is a delicious zucchini stuffed with sausage and quinoa. This meal is light, completely gluten-free and low-calorie.
Nutritional values (per serving)
- Calories: 293
- Protein: 22 g
- Fat: 13 g
- Carbohydrates: 23 g
- Sodium: 626 mg
- Potassium: 911 mg
- Cholesterol: 58 mg
- Calcium: 150 mg
- Iron: 3 mg
- Vitamin A: 41 mg
- Vitamin C: 806 international units
- Servings: 4
- Preparation: 40 minutes
- Cooking: 40 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, each tomato chopped in 4
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh marjoram, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 4 medium-size zucchinis
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup parmesan
- 3 sweet or spicy turkey sausages
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat then add the sausage and onions and turn, chopping the sausage with a spoon as they cook. Cook for about 5 minutes until the sausage are no longer pink. Add the quinoa and water and bring to a boil, then lower the heat, cover and cook, stirring once or twice in the process until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is tender. This takes about 15-20 minutes. Turn off the heat and add the tomatoes and marjoram.
- In the meantime, chop each zucchini in half from top to bottom, removing a thin slice from the bottom so the zucchini can sit pulp-up. Remove pulp and leave a 1/2 cm thick shell. Put the zucchini halves in a microwave-safe dish and season with salt and pepper. Cover the dish and put in a microwave for 3-4 minutes.
- Put the oven tray in the upper third of the oven and heat to maximum.
- Move the zucchini to a baking dish. Stuff with the quinoa mix and sprinkle cheese on top. Bake for 2 minutes until the cheese is completely melted.