The current offseason continued today with the news that the team has agreed with Freelance Capture Wilson Ramos on a two-year, $ 19 million contract that includes a club option for the 2021 season. Here is part of the early reaction to the deal and its ripple effect on the rest of the catchment market …
- After talking to Ramos and his camp during the winter meeting, the Mets were “extremely impressed” by the prisoner, according to SNY.tvs Andy Martino ( Twitter links ). It did not hurt Ramos looking for a smaller contract than Yasmani Grandal looking for a four-year deal. Kevin Plawecki can now be the odd man from New York’s catch mix, as Martino hears that Mets plans to use Travis Arnaud for backup jobs behind Ramos, and Plawecki could now be a trading chip.
- Metsna was strongly involved in trade negotiations for JT Realmuto but ultimately did not want to give up “significant talent from Major League roster” in a deal, Martino tweets . Name as Amed Rosario Brandon Nimmo and Michael Conforto had all been mentioned as possible goals for Marlins although Miami’s wish to land more than one of these players seems to have ultimately been Mets’ breakpoint in conversation. Martino also mentions that Mets, Marlins and Padres had lectures on a three-day agreement that would have involved both Realmuto and Noah Syndergaard with the negotiations which lasted “until the end of the winter and maybe beyond. “
- Joel Sherman of the New York Post likes the Ramos signing and calls the” right move “for Mets rather than acting young players for someone like Realmuto. The mets can now hold Nimmo and the company as potential trading chips If Mets does not end in conflict, Sherman points out that Ramos himself could possibly be handled by the deadline, as his contract does not constitute a long term hit for either Mets or any trading broker.
- According to to Heyman Mets was Ramo’s first choice this winter. Dodgers also had an interest but only one year’s contract, Jorge Castillo of the LA Times Tweets . Rays and Phillies Ramo’s latest team did not strongly resume a reunion, reports from Yahoo Sports Jeff Pass. Philadelphia has youth Jorge Alfaro sj lvklart, while Tampa Bay scored another addition behind the plate for the acquisition of Mike Zunino from the sailors.
- Zunino’s presence has not kept ] Rays from being involved in the Realmuto market, but as MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro writes ( Twitter link ) to Tampa and Dodgers two of the teams remain in the pursuit of Miamis All Star prisoners. Marlins however, continues to feel that “they do not have to do anything” regarding a Realmuto trade, and can still stop capturing the prisoner. “This week will tell if a trade is being done or not,” writes Frisaro.