Categories: world

Parkland Shooter Will Get Great Heritage, Public Defenders Ask to Take Out: NPR

Parkland's school shooting suspect Nikolas Cruz speaks to public defender Diane Cuddihy, right, during a March hearing. Taimy Alvarez / AP hide caption change caption Taimy Alvarez / AP Parkland's school shooting suspect Nikolas Cruz speaks to general defender Diane Cuddihy, right during a March hearing. Taimy Alvarez / AP With the outstanding payout of the parent's life insurance, the recognized Parkland, Fla. Sagittarius can get more than $ 430,000. So he no longer has the right to be represented for free by a public defender. His lawyers said in a court that started Wednesday to ask to withdraw the case. "The Council's attention has been signed that Nikolas Cruz is a beneficiary of a MetLife life insurance policy and is entitled to half of a death benefit valued at $ 864,929.17 as of April 23, 2019, Broward County wrote Public Defender's Office. [19659008] "The public defense law office is legally forbidden to represent a non-indigent defendant," the lawyers said they would waive the case. In April, judge Elizabeth Scherer declared Cruz "indigent" in the case, even though he had one $ 28,000 net worth would not It is not enough to cover their defense costs. The state compensates court-appointed defense lawyers up to $ 25,000 for cases where the potential sentence is the death. "The cost of private representation would surely exceed $ 25,000, as Defendant has accused of seventeen separate bills by First Degree Murder and facing death shouted at each of the seventeen numbers, "Scherer wrote. Scherer…

Parkland’s school shooting suspect Nikolas Cruz speaks to public defender Diane Cuddihy, right, during a March hearing.

Taimy Alvarez / AP

hide caption

change caption

Taimy Alvarez / AP

Parkland’s school shooting suspect Nikolas Cruz speaks to general defender Diane Cuddihy, right during a March hearing.

Taimy Alvarez / AP

With the outstanding payout of the parent’s life insurance, the recognized Parkland, Fla. Sagittarius can get more than $ 430,000. So he no longer has the right to be represented for free by a public defender. His lawyers said in a court that started Wednesday to ask to withdraw the case.

“The Council’s attention has been signed that Nikolas Cruz is a beneficiary of a MetLife life insurance policy and is entitled to half of a death benefit valued at $ 864,929.17 as of April 23, 2019, Broward County wrote Public Defender’s Office. [19659008] “The public defense law office is legally forbidden to represent a non-indigent defendant,” the lawyers said they would waive the case.

In April, judge Elizabeth Scherer declared Cruz “indigent” in the case, even though he had one $ 28,000 net worth would not It is not enough to cover their defense costs. The state compensates court-appointed defense lawyers up to $ 25,000 for cases where the potential sentence is the death. “The cost of private representation would surely exceed $ 25,000, as Defendant has accused of seventeen separate bills by First Degree Murder and facing death shouted at each of the seventeen numbers, “Scherer wrote.

Scherer continued to say she would reconsider the issue of domestic “if there is a change in circumstances, and the defendant has received the sum of money (from her mother’s property or otherwise), which would allow him to retain private advice. . “

Both the public defender and Cruz knew he would be entitled to life insurance money – they mentioned it in filing last year. But neither was aware of the size of the payout, wrote the public defender. The money probably depends on Cruz’s mother, who was killed three months before the shot.

Cruz killed 17 people at Marjory Stone Douglas High School on February 14, 2018. Seventeen others were injured. Cruz is charged 17 bills of murder and 17 bills of attempted murder. Prosecutors apply for the death penalty.

“My blood boils,” wrote Fred Guttenberg, father of Jaime, who was killed in the attack. “This will only cause more delays. I’m angry right now.” He said he would ask his attorneys to continue a wrong action against the shooter, so that the money could go to the victims’ families.

The judge had said she wanted the trial to begin in January 2020. With the request of the public defenders to withdraw, the timeline is now uncertain.

Share
Published by
Faela