An outbreak of the highly infectious norovirus was reported Wednesday in a shelter house that houses more than 150 evacuations…
An outbreak of the highly infectious norovirus was reported Wednesday in a shelter house that houses more than 150 evacuations from the fatal Camp Fire in California.
A laboratory test confirmed that about 15 to 20 people staying in the neighborhood church, Chico, located in Butte County, California, have been infected with the virus, which can cause severe vomiting and diarrhea, a public health department telling the Sacramento Bee.
Lisa Almaguer, spokesman for Butte County Public Health Department, told the paper fire evacuations at the Oroville Church in Nazarene shelter, where about 166 people reside also exhibit norovirus symptoms.
About 170 people are housed at Chico shelter, according to Diane Shoen from American Red Cross, but would not confirm reports from the norovirus outbreak to Bee citing health confidentiality laws.
Almaguer told the paper precautions taken to prevent the spread of the virus, including quarantines who are ill.
“They want us to continue washing our hands and not shaking hands and using Purell (sanitizer) before dinner,” told Rich Montgomery, a Magalia evacuator. 1
9659003] According to the Mayo Clinic, “norovirus infection usually occurs in closed and narrow environments.”
California’s death penalty charge rose to 56 on Wednesday night after the authorities said they discovered another eight sets of human remains
Butte County Sheriff Kory Honea said at a press conference that 56 of the remaining were found, officials have “preliminarily identified “46 of them, but waiting for DNA confirmation.
The fires in northern California are still considered an “emergency”, said the sheriff. Nearly 5,500 staff work to fight the fan.
Cal Fire officials said the fire now burned 138,000 hectares and contains 35 percent. It destroyed almost 9,000 homes and moved 52,000 people.
Fox News & Nicole Darrah contributed to this report.