Home / Health / Neti pot with tap water caused the woman’s lethal brain infection: Report
Breaking News Home / Health / Neti pot with tap water caused the woman's lethal brain infection: Report December 7,…
A woman who told the doctor to rinse her sinus twice a day to clean up a chronic sinus infection died of a brain-eating amoeba.
The woman, 69 from Seattle, used tap water that was filtered using a Brita water purifier in a grid, according to a report published in the peer reviewed International Journal of Infectious Diseases. It is recommended that only sterile water or saline solution is used for sinus irrigation.
After a month to clear her sinuses with the non-sterile water, a quartz tail appeared red on the back of the nose. Her doctor told her that it was Rosacea and prescribed an ointment, according to the report. The discharge did not clear and she saw a dermatologist several times after response, but biopsies did not result in any definitive diagnosis.
One year after the rash developed, the woman had an attack. At that time, a CT scan showed a half-inch lesion on her brain. Doctors performed surgery to remove the mass, as they say had “unusual properties”. A test was sent to Johns Hopkins University for analysis.
The day later her left arm and legs became deadly and she had a “changed mental status”. An advisory neuropathologist from Johns Hopkins suggested that there may be an amoebic infection and later a drug for such infection was given to the patient. But her condition did not improve and her family finally decided to take her out of life support.
Test after death showed that the woman died of Balamuthia mandrillaris, an amoeba living in soil and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention also says it is possible that it lives in water. Balamuthia can travel to the brain and can cause a fatal infection. Little is known about how people meet amoeba and how to prevent it.
She tested negative for Naegleria fowleri, another amoeba that could cause fatal brain infections related to a death of a Louisiana man who used a neti pot in 2013.
More: Brain-eating amoeba is found in Louisiana water system
More: Deadly brain-eating amoeba symptoms are difficult to identify
Seattle article writers warn that because cases like this are so difficult to diagnose, “it’s possible that many more cases of Balamuthia have been missed.”
Around the world, more than 200 cases of Balamuthia infection have been diagnosed with at least 70 cases in the United States, according to CDC.
Follow Ashley May on Twitter: @AshleyMayTweets
Read or Share this story: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2018/12/07/neti-pot- tap-water caused-female-lethal-brain infection report / 2236681002 /