A young man who had eaten a slug as a dare eight years ago, lost his battle against rat lungworm,…
A young man who had eaten a slug as a dare eight years ago, lost his battle against rat lungworm, a type of parasite. He died last Friday surrounded by family and friends. (19459013) Michel Van Der Vegt | Pixabay )
Sam Ballard, a promising Australian man, who ate a slug for eight years ago as a dare by friends, has died after contracting rat lungworm disease.
rugby player, took his final breath on Friday, Nov. 2, in a hospital in Sydney surrounded by family and friends. He was 28 years old.
Ballard was only 1
9 when he ate the slug that will eventually cause his death. In 2010, the young man was drinking with friends in Sydney when they saw a slug crawling across the patio.
After downing the slug, Ballard complained of severe pain in his legs. At first, they suspected that the young man had multiple sclerosis just like his father, but upon assessment by doctors, they discovered that he developed rat lung worm disease.
From there, his situation only became worse. He developed eosinophilic meningoencephalitis, a form of meningitis, and fell into a coma for 420 days. Når de doktorer revived ham, var han paralyzed og i behov for konstant pleje.
When another animal, like a slug, gets exposed to the rat’s poop, they also get infected with the parasite. Humans can get the disease from eating the animal uncooked.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, rat lung worm disease is common in Southeast Asia and the tropical Pacific Island. Cases have also been reported in the United States.
To avoid getting infected, refrain from eating raw or undercooked snails, slugs, frogs, shrimps, and prawns. Public health officials also warned about fresh produce. They say always wash vegetables thoroughly.
Symptoms include a headache, stiff neck, tingling under the skin, fever, nausea, and vomiting. In de meeste gevallen is de infectie niet nodig om te worden behandeld omdat het gaat weg op zijn eigen.
Het is echter het beste om een gezondheidsaanbieder te zien als iemand van een blootstelling aan de ziekte vermoedt. A blood test can be performed to check for meningitis.
ⓒ 2018 TECHTIMES.com All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.