Categories: world

Kerikeri High School in Northland is preparing to help students, staff after meningococcal death

The school attended by the 16-year-old who died of meningococcal disease, prepares to take care of his teachers and friends.…

The school attended by the 16-year-old who died of meningococcal disease, prepares to take care of his teachers and friends.

The boy died at Auckland City Hospital on Saturday night after flying there with a helicopter from Motutapu Island in Hauraki Bay suffering from symptoms of suspected meningococcal disease.

He was in a St John youth camp on Motutapu Island in Hauraki Bay when he got sick on Saturday.

St. John said in the afternoon that all 1

65 youths attendance to the camp had returned to Auckland by ferry where they had been met by their parents, families and representatives of St John.

St. John’s Medical Director Dr Tony Smith, an intensive care worker, said that all youth members, leaders, medical and support staff were in good health. Some people had received prophylactic antibiotic treatment if they had been exposed to meningococcal bacteria.

“The risk of others being infected is low because meningococcal bacteria are spread only through very close contact or many hours of contact with an infected person.”

St. John’s Director of Public Health, Sarah Manley, said: “Our thoughts are with the family and friends of our youth squad who died tragically on Saturday night and we will continue to support our youth members and their families through this tragic time. “

A spokesman for the Ministry of Justice said the death of the teenage death had been referred to a denial.

Dr Denise Barnfather, from the Auckland Regional Public Health Service, told Herald today meningococcal disease has been confirmed as the cause of the death of the teenage death. The tribe was not yet known. Samples were sent to an ESR laboratory in Wellington for identification, which was expected to take two weeks.

The boy attended the Highland School in Northland.

Principal Elizabeth Forgie said she was in school today with colleagues preparing to contact students and staff.

“Our thoughts are with his family and his friends in this awful time. We will be there to offer them all the support we can.”

She added that she had been advised by the Northland District Health Board’s Public Health Nurses that there was no significant risk of meningococcal disease for the wider school world.

Childfather, a health care officer, said that preventive antibiotic treatment had been given to nine close contacts of teens last night, but she expected the number to rise.

The teenager was at a St John youth camp at Motutapu for people ages 8-18 years. The camp was scheduled to end today.

The Public Health Service said it had

A head of Motutapu camp, Duncan Watson, said there were no further cases there.

He said that the 16-year-old had worsened after he had been hospitalized, developing a characteristic outcome of meningococcal pepticemia.

“My understanding is [it appeared] between leaving the camp and the hospital; I do not know if it was in the helicopter or hospital.”

Northlands District Health Care Professionals Dr. Simon Baker said it was “very tragic for the family to the young who died and for all at camp “.

“We admit the young, their families and staff in the camp will also feel very upset and worried.”

Public health careers in Northland had talked to the family about who could otherwise have been at risk during the previous seven days where the young man was infectious. Those in close contact with the young man had received antibiotics.

“Meningococcal disease is a serious and sometimes fatal disease and can be difficult to diagnose, so we provide information to young and parents so they can pay attention to symptoms,” Baker says.

“It may look like flu early but quickly gets much worse. It is important to get early treatment. “

Symptoms included some or all of the following: fever, headache, vomiting, sleepy, confused and delirious, unconsciousness, joint pain, aching muscles, stiff neck, nausea of ​​light bulbs or rashes, purple or red spots or bruises. [19659002] Other symptoms in infants and infants included being intact, floppy or irritating, refused drinks and food and getting harder to wake up.

Children who had previously received meningococcal vaccination may still have meningococcal disease because the vaccine does not protect against any type of meningococcal bacteria, said Baker.

“If you or someone you know has these symptoms, do not wait.”

Persons with anxiety should call Healthline on 0800 611 116 or visit a doctor.

In 2011, an emergency vaccination program in Northland was conducted meningokock C-strain disease due to an outbreak of the strain that began in the region during winter.

The outbreak affected t children and adolescents. At the end of December 2011, nine cases of meningococcal C had been confirmed, with three deaths.

Free vaccination (government-funded) was available to people aged 1 to 20. Over 32,000 children and adolescents – about 73 cents of the region’s population in the age group – received the vaccine injection with a single shot in three months.

One of those who died in 2011 outbreak was Plumbing apprentice Ben Brown, 18th.

Formerly fit and healthy, he suddenly fell ill one night after work in August 2011. He had a painful neck, saw sitting in a dab, left the food and started shaking uncontrollably.

He was taken to an accident and hospital, which sent him home with a meningitis and a prescription for oral antibiotics for tonsillitis and paracetamol.

He worsened and went through an ambulance to a hospital where he spent several hours before he was improved and released. The oral antibiotics are believed to have masked the severity of his condition.

The day after he first felt, Ben was suddenly worsened, taken to a clinic and then to the hospital. He was critically ill. He received intravenous antibiotics, a CT scan, lumbar tract test and was taken into intensive care (ICU).

Ben deteriorated. He died on a Saturday afternoon in Whangārei Hospital, the third day after he got sick.

The hospital implemented changes to address issues identified in a review of Bens care.

Published by