Categories: world

John Bolton says North Korea does not fulfill commitments calls for a second Trump Kim Summit

"They have not lived up to the commitments so far," Bolton said at The Wall Street Journal's annual CEO conference…

“They have not lived up to the commitments so far,” Bolton said at The Wall Street Journal’s annual CEO conference in Washington. “Therefore, I think the president believes another summit is likely to be productive.”

Bolton said the US would continue with a second meeting just after the start of the new year – saying “January February” – hoping to make further progress. He said that the Trump administration would not lift severe economic sanctions against the regime until then.

The National Security Advisor’s comments underlined the lack of progress made by the United States to move North Korea closer to the full, controllable and irreversible nuclear weapon reflection Washington seeks and the concessions it has made Pyongyang, although Trump has stressed the heat in his relationship with Kim.

Trump told reporters on Saturday that the summit would be held early in the year and added that “we are doing very well” and that “we have a good relationship with Kim.” He said that the two sides have talked about three places for a potential summit.

Bolton said Tuesday that the two sides will look at the commitments made at the June Summit in Singapore and discuss how to achieve them.

The United States and North Korea undertook to establish relationships and work towards “peace and prosperity” on the peninsula. Pyongyang committed to working towards “full denuklearization” and the two sides undertook to recover the remains of US soldiers missing in the Korean War.

“We will continue this,” Bolton said. “If the North Koreans follow through on their commitments as they made in Singapore, President Trump will earn the Nobel Peace Prize.”

“He opened the door for them,” added Bolton. “Now they have to go through it. That’s what we hope to make progress at at the next meeting.”

Last month, Vice President Mike Pence told NBC News that the US will not demand North Korea to provide a full list of its nuclear and missile sites before Trump meets again with Kim. Washington and Pyongyang had been locked in diplomatic standoff for weeks on which side would make concessions first. Analysts said that by relaxing their demands for a second summit, the United States may have blinked first.

Pence spoke days after new commercial satellite images were released and identified more than a dozen undeclared North Korean missile operation bases, another sign that Pyongyang continues to move on with its ballistic missile program.

Share
Published by
Faela