Nutrition and diet form an integral element of your fitness routine and eating healthily underpins the good work you’re doing in the gym. Here, we look at the Japanese Rice and Chicken Salad recipe that’s easy to cook-up to fit into a busy routine.
- Serves: 4
- Preparation: 15 minutes
- Cooking: 40 minutes
- Difficulty: easy
- Meal: lunch
- 300 grams brown rice
- 500 grams chicken breasts
- 4 radishes sliced vertically
- 4 small cucumbers thinly sliced diagonally
- Some fennel flower for garnish
- Pickled ginger
- 1 carrot peeled and finely chopped
- 3 shallots, peeled and finely sliced
Soy sauce ingredients
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons ginger pickle water
- 2 tablespoons rice soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons ground sugar
- Let’s start with the soy sauce: add the five ingredients to a small bowl and mix well.
- Cook the rice as instructed on the pack and when cooked, move the rice to a bowl and add two thirds of the sauce. Mix well and then set aside to cool down.
- Chop the chicken breasts to large chops and put them in a big frying pan on medium heat. Submerge the chops in cold water and don’t let the water level be much higher than the chicken. When the water is close to boiling leave it on the heat for 10 more minutes or until the chicken is well done. Move to a plate and set aside to cool down.
- Put the rice, chicken, carrots, radish, cucumbers and shallots evenly in four plates then add the remaining sauce and spread an appropriate amount of fennel flower. Serve with pickled ginger for better taste.