Categories: world

Jamal Khashoggi's son arrives in US

Salah bin Jamal Khashoggi, a dual US-Saudi citizen, had previously been unable to leave Saudi Arabia after his passport was…

Salah bin Jamal Khashoggi, a dual US-Saudi citizen, had previously been unable to leave Saudi Arabia after his passport was restricted by the kingdom for some months ago.

A State Department spokesman said Secretary of State Mike Pompeo urged the Saudis to release the younger Khashoggi and deputy spokesman Robert Palladino said the US was “pleased” that he was allowed to leave the country.

Salah Khashoggi is the oldest son of The Washington Post columnist who Saudi officials now admitted was killed in a pre-meditated murder executed by a squad of men with close ties to the country’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

Initially, Saudi Arabia denied all knowledge of Khashoggi’s disappearance inside their consulate in Istanbul.

Saudi officials later announced that they had identified 1

8 men involved in the operation, leading the State Department to announce it was freezing shown for 21 Saudi nationals. On Thursday, Palladino said the additional three people targeted by the US belonged to Saudi Arabia’s intelligence services, royal court and a government ministry.

On Tuesday, the Crown Prince and his father King Salman were pictured shaking hands with the stone-faced young Khashoggi at an investment conference in Riyadh. Officials have told CNN it is highly unlikely that the operation against the Saudi dissident and critic could have taken place without the awareness of the crown prince who controls the country’s security device.

CIA director Gina Haspel, who traveled to Turkey Tuesday to consult with officials there, briefed President Donald Trump Thursday on the Turkish investigation into Khashoggi’s death.

According to The Washington Post, Haspel heard audio in Turkey’s possession that is purportedly of Khashoggi’s October 2 killing. Palladino confirmed that Pompeo attended Haspel’s briefing at the White House, but would not confirm whether he heard the audio or saw the video that Turkish officials claim to possess.

Trump has increasingly expressed frustration with the Saudi response. The kingdom has undertaken its own investigation, led by the crown prince. Palladino said the US had no timeline on the investigation, but that they would like to see results “as soon as possible.”

The fallout from Khashoggi’s murder has damaged Saudi Arabia, badly tarnished the crown prince and raised questions about US Foreign policy priorities that hinge on the kingdom’s financing or cooperation. De pågående spørgsmål har riled Trump, som har været mere irriteret af den negative dækning, sources say, og blames Saudis for at få ham til at se badly.

On Tuesday, Trump told reporters that Saudi authorities had staged the “worst cover-up ever” of the crime, and suggested to the Wall Street Journal that the crown prince may be responsible.

“The prince is running things over there more so at this stage,” Trump said when asked about bin Salman’s involvement.

CNN’s Michelle Kosinksi and Jennifer Hansler contributed reporting.

“He’s running things and if anybody were going to be, it would be him.”
Source link

Share
Published by
Faela