Categories: world

“It breaks my heart”: WHO chief dismisses raid on DRC Ebola center News

World Health Organization Manager (WHO) has condemned an attack on an Ebola treatment center in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) during a visit to the facility, just a few hours after an attack that killed a On a Tour on Saturday in the center located at Butembo in northern Kivu province said General Director Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus violence in the region undermined the early progress of the authorities in the fight against the ongoing outbreak of the fatal disease. "Attack on Ebola treatment center is not by society, this is attacks on society" Tedros said in a tweet. "We have no choice but to continue to serve the people here, who are among the most vulnerable in the world," he added. my heart to think about the life we ​​lost in this attack on #Ebola treatment center, because we continue to provide for those who have died in previous attacks while defending the right to health "- @DrTedros from Butembo, #DRC pic.twitter.com/XAMJ8Wr7B1 – World Health Organization (WHO) (@WHO) March 9, 2019 Butembo plant resumed last week after a attack by gunfire on the previous Wednesday forced its closure. Butembo Mayor Sylvain Kanyamanda told AFP press agency that Saturday's race had begun to fire at about six in the morning (4:00 am) and resumed 30 minutes later "with resistance from army and police. " The health worker being shot was treated in hospital. This was the third attack in the middle, the mayor added, branding the attacks as "terrorists"…

World Health Organization Manager (WHO) has condemned an attack on an Ebola treatment center in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) during a visit to the facility, just a few hours after an attack that killed a

On a Tour on Saturday in the center located at Butembo in northern Kivu province said General Director Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus violence in the region undermined the early progress of the authorities in the fight against the ongoing outbreak of the fatal disease.

“Attack on Ebola treatment center is not by society, this is attacks on society” Tedros said in a tweet.

“We have no choice but to continue to serve the people here, who are among the most vulnerable in the world,” he added. my heart to think about the life we ​​lost in this attack on #Ebola treatment center, because we continue to provide for those who have died in previous attacks while defending the right to health “- @DrTedros from Butembo, #DRC pic.twitter.com/XAMJ8Wr7B1

– World Health Organization (WHO) (@WHO) March 9, 2019

Butembo plant resumed last week after a attack by gunfire on the previous Wednesday forced its closure.

Butembo Mayor Sylvain Kanyamanda told AFP press agency that Saturday’s race had begun to fire at about six in the morning (4:00 am) and resumed 30 minutes later “with resistance from army and police. “ The health worker being shot was treated in hospital.

This was the third attack in the middle, the mayor added, branding the attacks as “terrorists” who wanted to “kill the sick”.

& # 39; Toxic & # 39; atmosphere

Ebola, a lethal viral disease, broke out in northern Kivu in August last year before spreading to the nearby Ituri province. Both provinces are violated by conscience and concern.

According to recent ministries, DRC’s current and worst Ebola outbreak has killed nearly 600 people.

Efforts to contain the epidemic, the tenth documented in the country, have been hampered by poor security in the very unstable region, where many militia groups are active.

Health center has repeatedly come under attack the seven months since

Thursday, a leading medical charity declared that efforts to deal with the outbreak were short and accused the DRC authorities of not having caused it because of an overly militarized response which alienates patients and their families and contributed to the creation of a “toxic” atmosphere.

Doctors without borders, also known by their French acronym MSF, emphasized that more than 40 percent of deaths occurred in communities rather than in Ebola treatment centers.

The charity claimed that the security forces had used “coercion” when monitoring safe burials, track contacts, and assistance with patient admission to treatment centers.

But Jessica Ilunga, a spokesman for the DRC’s health ministry, rejected MSF’s claims as a “gross overstatement of the situation” and said there was a “misunderstanding” about the role of the security forces in dealing with the outbreak.

“The police and the army are not involved in Ebola response activities, and their role has never been to implement sanitary measures,” Ilunga says.

“Contrary to international agents, I have the privilege of being evacuated when the security conditions worsen. As such, it is necessary to reinforce security in order to allow smooth response,” she added.

Share
Published by
Faela