Butternut squash gives this traditional Alfredo Pasta its special texture, giving you a chance to cut down on cream and butter, with the taste remaining spectacular, all along with this recipe being easy to make, enabling you to cook it anytime.
Total duration: 40 minutes
Preparation time: 25 minutes
This meal equals to six servings
- 3/4 cup of heavy cream
- Three tablespoons of unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- One 450 g butternut squash, cubed into about 4 cups total
- Half a teaspoon of freshly grated nutmeg, along with some more for serving
- Kosher salt
- 450 g of fettuccine
- 900 g of freshly grated Parmesan (about 3/4 cup), plus some more for serving
Preparation and cooking instructions
You will need an immersion blender to prepare this meal.
- First, add the cream, butter, squash and 3/4 cup of water to a medium saucepan and leave it to boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and continue cooking until the squash is tender when poked with a fork, i.e. about 15 minutes.
- Blend using the immersion blender until super creamy and smooth, i.e. 3 to 5 minutes and season with the nutmeg and one teaspoon of salt.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil then add the pasta and cook until the pasta is firm to the bite “al dente” according to the package directions.
- Reserve half a cup of starchy pasta water and drain the pasta.
- Stir the pasta and Parmesan into the squash sauce and toss until well coated, then add the reserved pasta water one tablespoon at a time if needed to loosen the sauce.
- Serve with more Parmesan and grated nutmeg (if desired).