Categories: world

He ate a slug on a dare. Now he is dead.

By Lindsey Bever | Washington Post Sam Ballard struck a wave. The young Sydney rugby player was a "larrikin" –…

By Lindsey Bever | Washington Post

Sam Ballard struck a wave.

The young Sydney rugby player was a “larrikin” – a “rough and tumble” free spirit, his mother said. So when the creature crept over a table at a party in 2010 and his friends dared to eat it, her son accepted the challenge, she said.

“Twenty-year-old boys, red wine, alcohol, sometimes sitting friends table – a slug goes on the table, someone joking about a dare,” told his mother, Katie Ballard, 7 News Sydney in an interview the following year. “Boys will be boys,” she said.

The weapon may have been innocent enough.

But after swallowing the slug, Ballard contrasted a rat lungworm &#821

1; a parasitic mask (Angiostrongylus cantonensis) that lives in rodents and can be crossed by snails and snails, according to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. These shells can then transfer the mask to humans.

In an unusual and tragic swing, the parasite infected Ballard’s brain – put him in a coma for more than a year and left him paralyzed, according to News.com.au. In the end, he killed him.

Ballard, 29, but late last week, according to the Sunday project. His last word to his mother was, “I love you”, according to the Australian news show.

Ballard began to experience severe pain in the legs within a few days after eating the slug, according to the Sunday project.

He asked his mother if it could have been caused by the critter.

“No, no one gets sick of it,” his mother said that she told him and reminded the event in an interview earlier this year.

But his doctor soon discovered that he had become ill from the slug.

“He was afraid,” told his mother on the Sunday project. “So, you know, like a mom, all you want to do is calm them. As far as I’m concerned, he did not do anything wrong. It was just a stupid thing.”

Ballard, whose mother said that he once seemed “invincible” became quadriplegic. For years he suffered from seizures, had to eat and breathe through tubes and demanded constant care, which the family struggled to pay for, according to the Daily Telegraph.

In 2011, Katie Ballard wrote on Facebook that her son was “Still the same cheeeeeeeekkkyyy Sam” and that she thought he would talk and go again.

The Sunday project Lisa Wilkinson wrote in a column on Monday that “Sam’s beautiful angel of a mother Katie has been right on Sam’s side as her primary caretaker, never waiting for her love: feeding him, rolling him, driving him, bathing him and bathing, organizing doctors and hospital visits, always trying to find the brighter moments so she could see her boy smile again and wake up at every noise at night, always be sure that Sam’s friends felt welcome in their new, limited world. When they visited As they often did, Sam’s eyes would always light.

“And Katie was always always optimistic about what the future meant to him.”

Now Ballard is dead.

The parasitic Worm Angiostrongylus cantonensis lives inside rodent lungs

As the CDC explains in a video, the rodent coughs – usually a rat – raises the worms and then cools them and forces them into the stomach of the animal. Finally, the rat turns out the worms. 003] Snails or snails can be infected by eating rats stools, according to CDC, and people can be infected by eating snails or snails.

According to CDC:

] People can get infected by eating raw or undercooked snails or snails infected with this parasite. In some cultures, snails are usually eaten. In particular, some children have been infected by swallowing snails / snails “on wave.” People can also contaminate accidents by eating raw materials (like salad) containing a little snail or slug or part of one.

Some animals, e.g. Freshwater crabs, crabs or frogs have been shown to be infected with parasites by the larvae. It is possible to eat undercooked or raw animals infected, which can lead to people being infected, but the evidence for this is not as clear as eating infected snails and snails. Note that fish do not spread this parasite.

Cases have been reported in Hawaii, as well as in continental United States, according to the CDC. A New Orleans boy joined the 1993 parasite by eating a snail “on wave”, according to the authority, but did not need treatment.

The Australian health officials have called it “an extremely rare infection.”

The New South Wales Health Department said in a fact sheet that most contractors do not experience any symptoms. When they do, the symptoms are usually temporary and mild, says the health services office.

According to the Ministry:

Very rarely, lungworm causes an infection (infestation) in the brain called eosinophil meningo encephalitis. People with this condition may have headache, stiff neck, tingling or skin pain, fever, nausea and vomiting. The time between eating the snail or snail and getting sick is usually 1-3 weeks.

Anyone who has these symptoms should seek medical judgment, although other infections (such as meningococcal disease or pneumococcal disease) are much more likely causes of meningitis in children.

Health warners warn people not to eat raw snails or snails and carefully wash fruits and vegetables and inspect them for the miserable creatures. [19659035]
Source link

Share
Published by
Faela