Categories: world

He ate a slug on a dare, got paralyzed and died

November 7, 2018 Health 2 Views Copyright 2018 Cable News Network / Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. All rights reserved. This…

(CNN) – It was just a stupid dare among teenage boys. What could it hurt to eat a little slug?

So Australian teenager Sam Ballard grabbed the miserable creature and gulped it down. He had no idea that the slurry had a potentially lethal mask that would make him a coma lasting more than a year, paralyzed his body and finally taking his life.

“Trying To Act As An Adult”

2010, 19-year-old Sam, an avid rugby player, with Jimmy Galvin and several of his Australian “friends” drew a slug beginning to crawl over Galvin’s concrete patio in his home in Sydney .

“We were sitting in here and have some red winnings night, trying to act as adults,” Galvin pointed out in a video interview this year with Lisa Wilkinson on “The Sunday Project”, a current issue showing that Airs on Network 10 in Australia. CNN stretched out to Galvin but has not heard back.

“And then the conversation came up,” Should I eat it? “” reminded Galvin. “And then Sam went and went, that’s how it happened.”

Sam became weak and complained of severe pain in the legs, according to the “Sunday project”. Sam’s mother, Katie Ballard, told the news show that they first worried that he could have multiple sclerosis who had suffered his husband. But doctor said no that was not the reason.

Sam turned to his mother and said he had eaten a slug. “And I went,” No, no one gets sick of it, “Katie Ballard said. CNN has also reached Ballard.

But soon, the doctors told them otherwise. Sam had developed raw lung disease from the infected slug, changed his life forever.

What is rat lung disease disease?

Rat lung disease is caused by a parasitic mask called Angiostronjilus cantonensis. As the name suggests, the parasite enters the lungs of rats and is later secreted into poop.

A slug comes snail, freshwater crab, shrimp, shrimp or frog, and either eat the rat duck or the parasite, its way into the creature that infects it. However, the fish does not spread the parasite.

People can be contaminated if they eat the raw or undercooked contaminated animals or vegetables which carries invisible snails or snails that have not been washed properly.

In addition, the United States Center for Disease Control and Prevention says that beverages can be polluted Those with worms if left open for snails and snails to come in.

Unlike in rats, the life cycle of the worm is not completed by a human being. So, instead of passing through the digestive tract, the worm larvae can “get lost, and it will go to the brain, and it will remain”, says Heather Stockdale Walden, Assistant Professor at the Department of Communicable Diseases and Pathology at the University of Florida. The parasite is not transmitted from human to human.

“When it comes to the brain, you can get eosinophil meningitis,” Walden said, which is an inflammation of the membranes around the brain and spinal cord.

Symptoms may include headache, nausea, vomiting, fever and stiff neck, says CDC.

“So Full of Love”

Most cases of rat pulmonary artery disease are usually mild. But in some cases, like Sam, the disease can cause catastrophic damage.

Shortly after the diagnosis, Sam fell in a coma, where he stayed for 420 days, Ballard said in the Australian news report. He woke up paralyzed, unable to eat without moving or moving without intense effort. He demanded around the clock, seven days a week.

But the disease does not affect his mental abilities, his family and friends said.

“He’s in there, 100%,” said Galvin “Sunday Project.” “I apologize to Sam for everything that happened that night in the back yard, and he just started bawling his eyes. I know he’s there.”

Last week Sam said, “The Sunday project” Wilkinson wrote in a

“Sam went away on Friday morning at Hornsby Hospital, not far from he grew up, surrounded by 20 of the most beloved in the world, “she wrote.

“Katie tells me” The room was so full of love, “said Wilkinson.” One of his friends in the room continued: “He had his voice and he said” I love you “several times to Katie.” “

A funeral service will be held for Sam on Thursday, according to a post on Galvin’s Facebook page.

CNN’s Susan Scutti contributed to this report.

Share
Published by
Faela