Categories: world

Girl's deadly reaction to toothpaste is extremely rare, allergist reminds parents

Denise, who had a severe dairy allergy, had been given a prescription toothpaste that contained a milk-derived protein. The California girl's parents were careful to check food labels for milk and other potential allergens but did not think to check the toothpaste, which triggered a deadly allergic reaction that did not respond to an epinephrine pen or inhalers, Altamirano told the magazine. CNN has reached out to the family to confirm the report but had not heard back at the time this story was published. Since her death this month, Denise's story has been shared thousands of times on social media, and a GoFundMe page set up at her uncle has more than surpassed the initial goal of $ 1 0,000 for funeral costs. As parents of children with food allergies hear about Denise's story, Dr. David Stukus, a pediatric allergist and associate professor at Nationwide Children's Hospital, emphasizes that the sequence of events described by Denise's mother is extremely rare. "This is the first time I've ever heard anything like this," said Stukus, who has been a pediatric allergist for 13 years. "We don't want to trivialize this, because we want people to be careful, but we also don't want to be afraid to leave their house. " Almost all deaths from an allergic reaction to food because the child or young adult had underlying condition such as asthma that made the reaction more severe, and almost always either a lack or a delay in the administration or epinephrine,…

Denise, who had a severe dairy allergy, had been given a prescription toothpaste that contained a milk-derived protein. The California girl’s parents were careful to check food labels for milk and other potential allergens but did not think to check the toothpaste, which triggered a deadly allergic reaction that did not respond to an epinephrine pen or inhalers, Altamirano told the magazine.

CNN has reached out to the family to confirm the report but had not heard back at the time this story was published.

Since her death this month, Denise’s story has been shared thousands of times on social media, and a GoFundMe page set up at her uncle has more than surpassed the initial goal of $ 1

0,000 for funeral costs.

As parents of children with food allergies hear about Denise’s story, Dr. David Stukus, a pediatric allergist and associate professor at Nationwide Children’s Hospital, emphasizes that the sequence of events described by Denise’s mother is extremely rare.

“This is the first time I’ve ever heard anything like this,” said Stukus, who has been a pediatric allergist for 13 years.

“We don’t want to trivialize this, because we want people to be careful, but we also don’t want to be afraid to leave their house. “

Almost all deaths from an allergic reaction to food because the child or young adult had underlying condition such as asthma that made the reaction more severe, and almost always either a lack or a delay in the administration or epinephrine, he said.

“We know the details of this case really understand what happened, but we know that this tragic case should not immediately be applied to every single person with food allergy,” Stukus said.


Source link

Share
Published by
Faela