Categories: world

Daron Won guilty of murder of Savopoulo's family members, housekeeper

Keith L. Alexander Criminal Court Reporter, especially DC Superior Court Cases October 25 at 16:07 A Maryland man was found…

A Maryland man was found guilty of killing three members in a rich Northwest Washington family and their housekeeper, brutal 2015 crimes that seized the country’s capital.

The jury’s Thursday verdict against Daron Wint came after a sexually impaired emotional – and often graphic – attempt that contained hundreds of evidence and dozens of witnesses.

Wint was the only person accused of the killing of married couple Savvas Savopoulos, 46, and Amy Savopoulos, 47; their son, Philip, 10; and the family housekeeper, 57-year-old Veralicia “Vera” Figueroa.

Wint was convicted of several bills of murder such as kidnapping, burglary and fire brigade. Wint, 37, did not respond with his back to court observers as the court read. He stood slightly bowed with his head.

Around a dozen family members and the victims’ friends were in court, including the parents of both Amy and Savvas Savopoulos. Some cried and embraced each other and prosecutors. Relatives refused to comment.

“We hope the verdict will give sorrow to the victims’ families,” said American lawyer Jessie K. Liu in a statement. She called the crime a “meaningless home invasion”.

Daron Wint is depicted on this undeaded photograph released by the Metropolitan Police Department. (Reuters)

The federal prosecutors in the trial portrayed Wint, a former employee of Savopoulo’s family business, as a man driven by greed and vengeance.

The defense told lawyers that Wint was innocent. They said that his brother and half brother were killer and that Wint had been established to take the blame.

Prosecutors argued that Wint broke into Savopoulos home in May 2015 and held the victims hostage as he demanded $ 40,000 in the resignation Savvas Savopoulos had delivered in the hope that the intruder would leave them unscathed.

The victims were beaten with baseball flakes and pushed repeatedly before their bodies were thrown with gasoline and fired on fire. The flame swam upstairs at Savopoulos home, at Woodland Drive NW.

Assistant US lawyer Laura Bach told the jury that Wint was desperate for money at the time of crime. His family had left him out of the house, he had no fixed job and he was in charge of living in his minivan. Wint had once worked for Savopoulo’s company, American Iron Works, in Maryland but was fired in 2005 after two years. Prosecutor said that he later successfully tried to get his job back.

“He had no options left. He did this. He is the one who killed those people,” Bach said to the lawyers during her final closing argument in DLC. “Now you hold him in charge. Keep him in charge of what he did.”

Savvas Savopoulos, President and Chief Executive Officer of American Iron Works, had an interest in martial arts and opened a center in Virginia. Amy Savopoulos was a devoted mom whom friends said had an interest in preventing and treating child welfare.

Philip was a student at St Albans School, a private boys school in the district. At the trial, his grandfather testified the boy’s love of Harry Potter, Train and Washington’s sports team. The daughters of the couple, Abigail and Katerina, now in college, were out of high school during the attack.

Figueroa, a wife, mother and grandmother, had moved to the Washington area from El Salvador and hoped to return to her homeland, according to her family. Her DNA, found on the handle of one of the baseball carts used as a weapon, showed that she was trying to fight off Wint, prosecuted prosecutors.

Prosecutors said Wint came into Savopoulos home on the morning of May 13, 2015 and was able to limit Philip, who was sick at school and Figueroa at home. Amy Savopoulos, who had gone to have coffee, returned home and was also subdued, prosecuted prosecutors.

At the late afternoon, prosecutor Wint had forced Amy Savopoulos to call his husband and call him home without harming him that she, their son and Figueroa were in danger.

Firemen called for the burning home the next day, the four bodies found inside.

Prosecutor said Wint’s DNA was found on a discarded piece Domino’s pizza delivered to the house night victims were kept in the hostage. The authorities said they also found Wint’s DNA on a knife in the basement of the house and a hair that matched Wint to a bed where the adult bodies were found.

Won a testimony and announced to the authorities that his half-brother Darrell had chopped him to go to the house in anticipation of a dry-wall and color work. After they arrived, Wint told Darrell telling him that he planned to break the house.

Wint showed that while he was there he ate a slice of pizza but left when his brother mentioned the intruder schedule. He said he never saw or heard the victims.

Wint’s public defender Judith Pipe and Jeffrey Stein told reporters that they should be skeptical of the government’s case and claim that there was no way Wint alone could have broken into the house, prevented three adults, cut the home’s security system and extinguish house.

But prosecutors told lawyers that, although they thought Wint could not have done these crimes alone, he would still be guilty.

“Although Daron Wint had help, he still owed, Bach said.

Prosecutors put on many witnesses, including computer and forensic experts and Wints family members. Wint’s brothers, Darrell and Steffon, testified that they did not had evidence of death.

According to testimony, Wint spent his days following the murder of his cell phone to do Google searches, including “How to hit a lie detector test” and “10 hideaway cities for refugees. “

Wint showed little feelings during the trial, instead focusing on paperwork that was in front of him. He shortened when his devoted Devonie Hayles testified.

Hayles told the jury that three days after the murders Wint took a bus to New York for to visit her. Rinse with $ 100 bills that prosecutors said were from the wreck scheme, said Wint told him that he had won the lottery and sold his mini-truck and got money to take her to a shopping booth.

Judgment of the Court came after less than two full Judges Juliet McKenna sentenced judgment on February 1st.

Published by