Categories: world

Contracting rabies from stray puppy in Philippines | 1 NEWS NOW

In an effort to rescue a stray puppy, a 24-year-old Norwegian woman has died after contracting rabies. Birgitte Kallestad was holidaying in the Philippines with friends when they found the puppy on a street, her family said in a statement The puppy is believed to have been infected when it was playing, according to the BBC Ms Kallestad, who worked at a Norwegian hospital, had sterilized the "small scrapes" by the puppy, but tried more medical attention, the family's statement says "Our dear Birgitte loved animals," her family said. "Our fear is that this will happen to others who have a warm heart like her". Ms Kallestad fell ill shortly after returning home to Norway, then died this week in the hospital she worked. It is the first death of rabies in more than 200 years, the BBC reported. She sought medical attention several times upon returning home but doctors were unable to diagnose what was wrong. , mostly in Asia and Africa. Rabies is treatable but, if left untreated, it can cause a life-threatening infection of the brain and nervous system in humans. Senior Medical Officer at the Institute Sir Feruglio customs the BBC they are vaccinated, if they come into contact with an infected animal. "This is a disease that's endemic in 1 50 countries and it's a huge health problem," he said. Source link

In an effort to rescue a stray puppy, a 24-year-old Norwegian woman has died after contracting rabies.

Birgitte Kallestad was holidaying in the Philippines with friends when they found the puppy on a street, her family said in a statement

The puppy is believed to have been infected when it was playing, according to the BBC

Ms Kallestad, who worked at a Norwegian hospital, had sterilized the “small scrapes” by the puppy, but tried more medical attention, the family’s statement says

“Our dear Birgitte loved animals,” her family said. “Our fear is that this will happen to others who have a warm heart like her”.

Ms Kallestad fell ill shortly after returning home to Norway, then died this week in the hospital she worked. It is the first death of rabies in more than 200 years, the BBC reported.

She sought medical attention several times upon returning home but doctors were unable to diagnose what was wrong. , mostly in Asia and Africa. Rabies is treatable but, if left untreated, it can cause a life-threatening infection of the brain and nervous system in humans.

Senior Medical Officer at the Institute Sir Feruglio customs the BBC they are vaccinated, if they come into contact with an infected animal.

“This is a disease that’s endemic in 1

50 countries and it’s a huge health problem,” he said.


Source link

Share
Published by
Faela