(JOHANNESBURG) – Congolese rebels killed 15 civilians and killed a dozen children in an epicenter of the most recent lethal…
(JOHANNESBURG) – Congolese rebels killed 15 civilians and killed a dozen children in an epicenter of the most recent lethal Ebola eruption, the Congo military said on Sunday, as violence again forced important virus collection efforts to be interrupted. 19659002] “It will be very difficult to stop the outburst if violence continues,” says the World Health Organization catastrophe Peter Salama.
A regional WHO official told the Associated Press that it was difficult to say how long the work was to be confirmed.
Confirmed Ebola cases have reached 202 in this outbreak, including 118 deaths.
Resurrection of the Allied Democratic forces attacked Congolese army positions and several neighborhoods of Beni Saturday and Sunday, captain Mak Hazukay Mongha told AP. The UN peacekeeping mission said the troops were exchanged with rebels in Beni’s Mayangose area.
Regarding the murder, the residents transported four of the bodies to the town hall, where the police spread them with tear gas. While some healthcare workers went to a local hospital, demonstrators destroyed a number of government buildings and blocked all traffic, Congo Ministry of Health said.
Vehicle organizations and UN mission were pelted with rocks, UN-baked radio Okapi reported.
The ADF rebels have killed hundreds of civilians in recent years and are just one of several militants active in Congo far northeast.
Another fatal attack in Beni last year was interrupted by the interruption of Ebola containment efforts for days, complicated work to track suspect contacts in infected persons. Since then, many of the new confirmed Ebola cases have been reported in Beni, and the number of new cases in general has more than doubled, alarming help groups.
The health efforts in recent weeks had begun to show results and the new attack “Will take us back”, says Michel Yao, WHO incident head of Ebola in northern Kivu province, to AP.
The work in Beni was canceled on Sunday and “tomorrow we do not know yet,” Yao said, noting that burials of victims may be tense. “We understand. We are sympathetic. It is not easy to lose relatives. At the same time it can affect the response (eruption).”
The attack occurred after two medical agents with the Congolese army were killed by another rebel group ̵
1; the first time health workers have killed in this outburst  The Congo Health Minister called it a “dark day” for all who fought against Ebola.
May Mai rebels rose from the woods and opened fire to the unarmed agents with the army’s rapid intervention medicine unit outside Butembo city, the Ministry of Health said.
Health workers in this outbreak, declared on August 1, have described hearing fights daily, who work under the armed escort of UN peacekeepers or Congolese security forces and stop working at sunset to reduce the risk of attack.
Community resistance is also a problem, and the Congo Ministry of Health has reported “many aggressions” against health workers. At the beginning of the month two Red Crossers were injured in a confrontation with cautious residents in a region traumatized by decades of battles and encountered an Ebola eruption for the first time.
“Our agents continue to enter the field every day to fulfill the assignment assigned to them,” said health minister Oly Ilunga. “They are true heroes, and we will continue to take all necessary steps so that they can do their job safely.”
On Wednesday, the WHO said it was “deeply concerned” at the outbreak, but it is not yet warranted to be declared a global emergency. An outbreak must be “an extraordinary event” that can cross borders, which requires a coordinated response. Confirmed cases have been found near the heavily traveled border with Uganda.
In the latest example of rumors posing another serious challenge to contain the virus, the Ministry of Health said 22 young people in Butembo digged an Ebola victim and opened bodybags to verify that health workers had not taken body from the body.
They stopped touching highly contagious body fluids, said the ministry. “The next day, they agreed to be vaccinated”, joined the more than 20,000 people who have received vaccinations so far.
Maliro reported from Dakar, Senegal.