Categories: world

Congo Ebola eruption now 2nd largest in history, WHO says

JOHANNESBURG (AP) – Congo's deadly Ebola eruptions are now the second largest in the history of the devastating West African…

JOHANNESBURG (AP) – Congo’s deadly Ebola eruptions are now the second largest in the history of the devastating West African outbreak that killed thousands a few years ago, the World Health Organization said Thursday.

WHO Emergency Manager, Dr. Peter Salama called it a “sad toll” as the Congo Health Ministry announced the number of cases has reached 426. It includes 379 confirmed cases and 47 likely. So far, this outburst, declared on August 1, has had 198 confirmed deaths, with another 47 likely, said the Congo Ministry of Health.

Attacks of rebel groups and open hostility of some cautious locals have posed serious challenges for health workers as Ebola experts say they have never seen before. Many dare on critical virus inspection missions, only accompanied by UN peacekeepers in areas where shooting fires daily.

Salama this month predicted that the outbreak in northeastern Congo will last at least six months before it may contain. West Africa’s Ebola eruptions killed more than 11,000 people from 2014 to 2016.

Everyday health organizations report another difficulty after another in the recent outbreak, although their work sets milestones that have given a new jump in the fight against one of the world’s most notorious diseases.

More than 37,000 people have received Ebola vaccinations, and Congo has begun the first test to test the effectiveness and safety of four experimental Ebola drugs. However, the risk of Ebola spreading in so-called “red zones” – areas that are virtually unavailable because of the threat of rebel groups – is a major problem with containing this outbreak.

“This tragic milestone clearly shows the complexity and outbreaks of gravity. While the numbers are far from West Africa in 2014, we witness how conflict dynamics represent another type of threat,” said Michelle Gayer, chief executive of the International Rescue Committee.

In a major concern for healthcare professionals, many new cases have been unknown to known infections, as uncertainty complicates efforts to track contacts of those who have the disease.

The worrying high number of infected newborns in this outburst is another concern, and so far a mystery. In a separate statement on Thursday, the WHO said that 36 Ebola cases have been reported among newborn children and children under 2.

As the need for sustained outbreak is growing, two of the world’s most prominent medical journals published a week of global health experts which urges the Trump administration to do more.

In the Journal of the American Medical Association, a group found that a few weeks ago, the US government ordered all disease prevention and prevention facilities – “some of the world’s most experienced outbreaks” – from the Congo’s outbreak due to security issues.

A separate statement published in the New England Journal of Medicine said, “In view of the deterioration of the outbreak, we consider it important that these security issues be addressed and that CDC staff returns to the field.”

This is the first The time this turbulent part of northeastern Congo has had an outbreak of Ebola. The Congo Ministry of Health has implemented lively accounts for inhabitants affected by rumors who have tried to stop safe burial forms that prevent the spread of Ebola from victims to relatives and friends.

On Thursday, the Ministry said a group of young people broke into a morning, stole the body of an Ebola victim and returned it to his family.

___

Follow Africa news at https://twitter.com/AP_Africa

Share
Published by
Faela