Washington Capitals jumped out to a leading lead early in Wednesday’s match against Philadelphia Flyers, but a late game break from home team made it almost interesting. Almost.
Tom Wilson made the match’s first goal and took a pass from Ovi on his knees. Brett Connolly made it 2-0 with an in-and-out goal that required an official review to score a goal.
During the second period, Alex Ovechkin got himself on Ovi Spot to record his 46h season goal. Andre Burakovsky stopped red hot with solo effort, since Nicklas Backstrom took a pass from Jakub Vrana to the top five spot. Before the second period, Claude Giroux set up rookie Philippe Myers for his first NHL goal.
Giroux also opened the third period with an early goal and Caps lead dropped to two by 1
2 minutes left when Scott Laughton got a clear shot up the castle past Holtby.
Caps win! Five in a row!
- The capital allowed the first goal of the game in all matches since the Sabers game on February 23. Tonight they sniffed this step with a simple goal of Tom Wilson assisted by a brilliant pass from Alex Ovechkin.
- Andre Burakovsky seems to have handled his fourth line of demotion in the right spirit. He has six points in his last eight games. Burakovsky’s goal chased Flyer’s goalkeeper Brian Elliott from the net. Cam Talbot relieved the rest.
- For our document, here’s how Gritty celebrated the great Bryce Harper signing.
- (John Walton chimed in on the radio call.)
- Within the arena entertainment did not mention as much as I know that Philadelphia Fusion whip Washington Justice 3-1 in the Overwatch League last week, that’s right, I’m doing Peter’s Esports Corners even in recap now, you can’t escape it, pick up the pins, let’s die.
- Like a lot of other people, I assumed Brett Connolly shot in the second period hit the crossbar. I didn’t even know the game was under review, but it turns out that the shot knocked off the camera’s box – beyond the finish line – before running back. Connolly has 17 goals, and that’s great. Here’s how we found out:
- And here’s what the league said:
^^^ Not Joe’s costume at night, but yes woof
I enjoyed so much of this game that I won’t even be grumpy in the last 20 minutes and 12 seconds.
Caps have a (relatively) light game before things get hairy. Come and socialize with us on Friday, and let’s see them rack up some more points while they can.
Full RMNB cover of flyers flyers
Title photo: Bruce Bennett