Categories: world

Calories are not all similar to the studio

It's the number one issue in the healthcare world that seems to tear us apart: is a low calorie, low-carb…

It’s the number one issue in the healthcare world that seems to tear us apart: is a low calorie, low-carb or low-fat diet the key to successful long-term weight loss?

Well, a new study published in the journal BMJ has finally settled the debate once and shown that individuals who follow a low carbohydrate diet burn between 209 and 278 more calories a day than those on a carbohydrate diet .

To conduct the study, randomized researchers from Harvard University obese and obese people who had previously lost weight to one of three diets: the first to a carbohydrate diet (60 percent of their daily calorie intake from carbohydrates), the other to moderate carb diet (40 percent of their daily calorie intake from carbohydrates) and the third one low carb diet (20 percent of their daily calorie intake from carbohydrates). All participants’ protein intake remained fixed at 20 percent and calories adjusted to stabilize weight and stop further weight loss, making it more likely that any observed difference in calorie consumption was not from weight loss but from the types of macros consumed.

After the 20-week long experiment, researchers found that on low-carb diet, their rest costs increased by over 200 calories a day, while the high carb group reduced their resting costs. This translates into 50 to 70 calories per day for each 1

0 percent reduction in carbohydrate intake.

“If this difference persists – and we did not see interruptions for 20 weeks of our study – the effect would translate into about a weight loss of 20 pounds after three years without a change in calorie intake,” said doctor and co-author of the study Cara Ebbeling in one release.

David Ludwig, MD and Ebbling co-authors explained that it depends on insulin levels. Processed carbohydrates – like “flooded our diets under low fat levels”, he said in the press release, which drives fat cells to store excess calories. It increases hunger and slows metabolism, which is “a prescription for weight gain”.

The study found them on low-carb diet that had high levels of insulin secretion – produced after consuming glucose (carbohydrate sugar) – burned even more calories. up to 478 calories per day.

The study shows why the conventional model of “calories in calories” is not the best way to lose weight. Instead, more effective and sustainable longer-term weight loss will depend on the types of calories we consume.

For more, this is the exact time of the day you should eat carbohydrates if you want to lose weight and these are the surprising foods that have more carbohydrates than a piece of bread.

Know someone who would find this interesting? Share this article with them!

Share
Published by
Faela