Apple today released watchOS 5.1.2, the third update to the OSOS 5 operating system running on modern Apple Watch models.…
Apple today released watchOS 5.1.2, the third update to the OSOS 5 operating system running on modern Apple Watch models. watchOS 5.1.2 comes one month after the release of watchOS 5.1.1, an update that introduced new emoji and color clocks and addressed a brick bug introduced with watchOS 5.1.
watchOS 5.1.2 can be downloaded for free via the dedicated Apple Watch app on iPhone by going to General -> Software Update. To install the new software, Apple Watch must have at least 50 percent battery, it must be placed on a charger and it must be within the iPhone.
.2 introduces the long-awaited ECG feature for Apple Watch Series 4 models in the United States. ECG functionality works through electrodes built into the back of Apple Watch Series 4 and Digital Crown, allowing users to take an electrode electrode with a corded device. An ECG measures the cardiac electrical activity and is often used to diagnose heart disease.
In addition to ECG functionality, watchOS 5.1.2 introduces a new feature that will let you know if Apple Watch detects an abnormal heart rhythm indicating atrial fibrillation that could be a sign of a serious health problem. The ECG function is limited to Series 4, but the irregular heartbeat messages will be available on all Apple Watch models that can run WatchOS 5 – It’s Series 1 or later.
The WatchOS 5.1.2 update also brings new complications to the Infograph watches on Apple Watch Series 4. Complications that have been added include Mail, Messages, Home, Maps, Apple News, Find My Friends, Phone and Remote, all of which Now, the available complication sites can be assigned to the Infograph Clock face.
With most of these complications, the icon is designed to allow quick access to open an app instead of forwarding information such as unread messages or emails.
watchOS 5.1.2 also includes a new switch in Control Center to turn off the Walkie-Talkie feature, which makes it much easier to disable Walkie-Talkie when not in use and turn it on again when needed.
This update contains new features, enhancements, and bug fixes:
– New ECG app on Apple Watch Series 4 (US and US only)
* Makes it possible to take an electrocardiogram similar to an electrocardiogram with a lead
* May indicate if your heart rhythm shows signs of atrial fibrillation – a serious form of irregular heart rhythm or sinus rhythm, which means that your heart strikes in a normal pattern
* Saves ECG waveform, classification and any noted symptoms in a PDF on the Health app on iPhone to share with your doctor
– Adds the ability to get an alert for irregular heart rhythm that appears to detect atrial fibrillation (US and US only)
– Enables direct access to supported movie tickets, coupons and reward cards in the wallet when they are dropped to a non-contact reader
– Receive messages and animated parties when you reach daily maximum credits in one day during an activity competition
– New Infographic Complications for Mail, Maps, Messages, Find My Friends, Home, News, Phone, Remote Control
– Managing Your Walkie Talkie Availability From Control Center
For more information about the features introduced with the WatchOS 5 update released in September, see our WatchOS 5 rapporp.