Categories: world

American Syria recalled ordered by Donald Trump in progress, expected to take 3-4 months but Turkey still threatens Kurds

Baghdad – The US military has begun the process of withdrawing troops from Syria, a US Defense Chief confirmed on…

Baghdad – The US military has begun the process of withdrawing troops from Syria, a US Defense Chief confirmed on CBS News on Friday and said it was expected to take between 90 and 120 days. Official told CBS News, senior security correspondent David Martin said that equipment had begun to move out earlier this week.

US operations against the Islamic state of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) in the country would continue during the withdrawal process.

Col. Sean Ryan, spokesman for the ISIS coalition, confirmed earlier this day to The Associated Press that “the process of our deliberate withdrawal from Syria” is ongoing.

“Without concern for operational security, we will not discuss specific timelines, locations or troop movements,” he said in a statement sent to The Associated Press.

The British-based Syrian Human Rights Observatory, which monitors the conflict in Syria through a network of activists on the ground, said the recall began Thursday night. It said a convoy of about 1

0 armored vehicles, in addition to some trucks, pulled out of Syria’s northeastern town of Rmeilan to Iraq.

Confusion over US Plans in Syria

Confirmation of the first withdrawals sometimes confuses plans to implement President Donald Trump’s trigger orders and threats from Turkey to attack the Kurds who have been the US partner on the ground in the war against ISIS in Syria.

US jets holding hammering ISIS, which Syria recalls planning station in the region

There are 2000 US troops in Syria. Mr Trump’s urgent decision in December to pull them and explain in a tweet ISIS defeat sent shockwaves across the region and led the US Secretary of Defense James Mattis and the US Colonel US Senate to return to anti-ISIS coalition. It also led to great criticism that the US left its local Kurdish allies as a result of Turkish threats of an imminent attack.

On Sunday, US Security Adviser John Bolton American troops would not leave Northeast Syria until ISIS is defeated and American Allied Kurdish fighters are protected. State Secretary Mike Pompeo, who is touring the region, has also tried to insure the Kurds that they will be safe after US troops withdraw from the country.

“These have been people who have fought with us and it is important that we do everything we can to ensure that the people who fought with us are protected,” Pompeo said of the Kurds when they visit Erbil, The capital of Iraq’s semi-autonomous Kurdistan region, after talks in Baghdad

Speaking a broader US policy in the Middle East at American University in Cairo, Pompeo said that “now is the time” to get US forces out of Syria. stressed that the fight against ISIS would continue, but he did not reiterate the need for the Kurds to be protected or mentioned Bolton’s previous promise to fight Iran’s presence in Syria.

On Friday, the Russian Foreign Ministry said that the suspected US government was really intending to keep a military force in Syria predetermined, even though the outlet was officially announced by the Americans, Russia, the Syrian government’s most important ally, would like to see the United States pull Get out all the way from the war-torn country, where there are military bases and a significant squad presence.

Turkey’s threat to the Kurds can slowly penetrate

While the US military emissions are now officially underway, it makes a slow start.

The White House has not yet publicly changed the latest criterion, those that Bolton announced a week ago: that ISIS must be defeated and the security of the Kurdish forces guaranteed before the US troops come out. The first of these criteria is impossible, but possible, because the terrorist group now only holds a small plate country in Syria. The latter will undoubtedly show the more difficult goal of meeting.

U.S. Tensions with Turkey rise above the plan to withdraw troops from Syria

Turkey considers American Kurdish allies in the YPG militia – important in the basic war against ISIS – a terrorist group. Thursday, the Turkish Foreign Minister said that President Recep Tayyip Erdogan had already decided to launch an offensive against the Kurds in northern Syria and that it would continue regardless of the existence of US forces.

Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu went so far Wednesday to say that if the US exit from Syria was delayed, “then we will make this decision”, suggesting that Turkey could go after the Kurds in short order.

US announcement that Trump’s order intake is underway may be enough to convince Turkey to hold fire on US Kurdish battlefield federations for a while, but Erdogan still wants to go after them, and he can cope with his threats – evenly on a small scale – anytime.

The challenge for the United States will be to make an agreement with the Turkish Government which ensures that the YPG militia, which was so invaluable to Washington in recent years, is protected when the Revocation is complete. If not, the Trump administration would be accused of abandoning an ally to a cruel fate.

Share
Published by
Faela