Enlarge / Employees Fufill Online Orders at Amazon.com Inc. Completion Center in Robbinsville, New Jersey, Thursday, June 7, 2018.On Wednesday,…
On Wednesday, 24 Amazon- Employees working in a Robbinsville Township, New Jersey, have been sent to five different area hospitals after a 9oz jar of shotgun was deployed.
Early reports that the capsule was punctured by an Amazon robot has not been confirmed by either Amazon or Township Communications Officer, John Nalbone. Nalbone told Ars that Robbinsville first responded only reported that an “automated machine” would blame, which could mean anything from a programmed robot arm to an automated conveyor belt. (Of course, readers of Ars can agree to define the meaning of “robot” is more than just an exercise in trivia. This Wired article explores the topic deeper.)
Wednesday night, One of the 24 people as were hospitals were in critical condition, while another 30 were treated on stage, says ABC News.
In a statement to Ars on Thursday morning, Amazon’s external communications regional manager Rachael Lighty said
Wednesday at our Robbinsville follow-up center, a damaged aerosol can emit strong vapors in a neighborhood area of the facility. The safety of our employees is always our top priority, and a complete investigation is already under way. All employees in that area were moved to a safe place, and employees who experienced symptoms were treated on site. As a precaution, some employees were transported to local hospitals for evaluation and treatment. All affected employees have or are expected to be released from the hospital within the next 24 hours. We would like to thank all the first respondents who helped with this incident.
All Amazon employees are covered by healthcare providers, Lighty was added. Amazon employees are not unionized, ABC News reported and added that “the vapors were limited to the third-floor southern wing of the follow-up center.”
Self-defense blogs seem to agree that beer sprays are less inability than using pepper spray for use against humans, but it is still quite annoying. The BBC reports that “Get Bear Smart Society” beard sprays cause “an almost total but still temporary loss of vision and severe respiratory limitation” in humans.
Occupational safety in the presence of automation is an old story, and automation is generally a blessing for employee safety. But while incidents may become more rare they can be cruel when they happen. For example, in 201
5, a man was killed by a robot in a Volkswagen factory.